You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Additives 6v92

Hey guys so I have always run Lucas oil engine oil additives and fuel treatment in my daily drivers, question is is the 6v92 a temperamental motor, which oil is best to use and are the additives okay to run?

1980 38ft "Ole Girl"
6v92
Austin

Detroit two strokes : straight 40 weight , low ash . 
I run Mobil Delvac 1240 SAE 40 , blended for DD two strokes. Delo 100 is often used,  meets Detroit specs .
Additives not recommended in the literature I have found . MTU is a good source for information. Opinions vary , but most agree on SAE 40 .
Our 8V92 seems to like 1/2 to 2/3 down the dipstick .
Fuel additives to avoid algae and other gremlins probably okay . When in cold weather additive to prevent gelling .
And Welcome !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Been using Howes Diesel Treatnent for years. Adds lubricity, keeps injectors clean, prevents gelling.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I was in the heavy duty petroleum business . IMO Buy the best oil available to you. A high quality oil if changed on schedule will not benefit from additional additives. Straight 40 in the 2 stroke DD's. Never ever run a multi-weight oil. A lubricating type fuel conditioner can be beneficial. It should contain an algaecide and surfactants which can improve injector spray pattern,help move water through and clean the injectors.
I run Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella , and a commercially available oil and fuel conditioners from Central Petroleum Company in my various engines.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I am reminded of Howe's fuel treatment saving the day on a trip to the Frozen North in F 350 diesel . Fuel gelled on I 65 , slowed to 15 mph . Lesson learned. 
I'll be putting treatment in the Newell tanks .

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand