You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Exhaust Pipe Insulation

The insulation blankets on the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the turbo inlet on my 8V92 are in tatters. I am considering wrapping the pipe with ceramic fiber blankets and then wrapping that with fiberglass exhaust wrap to hold it in place and tidy it all up. Anyone have any experience with that?

Tim K 1986 Classic 40’ #121

I wrapped my generator exhaust and turbo with fiberglass exhaust wrap to replace the tattered cover for the turbo. So far, so good. I used the stainless ty wraps.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I also used wrap to replace the exhaust blankets , etc . Also sourced a turbo cover from Amazon , will look up information later . 
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Found a thread on a marine site where they wrapped first with ceramic fiber blankets then held it all in place with fiberglass tape. Found several with just the tape. Think I'll try the double approach. Thanks all for the advice. This is a great site.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?Sort...ipe%20wrap

This link will take you to various choices for exhaust heat protection.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If you live anywhere close to the water, a marine exhaust shop can measure and make you whatever you want fairly cheap.(just like factory blanket) About 100-200 for whatever custom piece you need

David

That is good to know. Thank you.