You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rebuilding Dometic's

I ended up taking my coach to Newell to have a compressor installed on the rear Dometic after a less than stellar attempt by a local HVAC guy in Phoenix. He botched a few critical items on his attempt to install a new compressor shipped from Newell. Newell was great in getting things back up and running when we got coach to Miami.

I had an AC company come out today and evacuate the top front unit. They cut it out of the system. I now have access to the bottom unit. The single unit for the rear section of the coach was sitting on a less than stellar piece of wood. I removed the wood in pieces. I did not have that unit evacuated since I could finagle my way around it to make repairs. It's tight in there. One thing leads to another as they say. The joys of an old coach. Needs love and plenty of money. (Something I am seriously running out of)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

When people ask me about fixing up an old coach I say “If u combine an old truck with an old house you have an old motorhome! You are always fixing something!” I think things will level off for you soon,Simon.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I replaced the exterior blower motors, and start/run caps on the three units. The two that are still connected are running super quiet. It’s like a night and day difference. I can call them “whisper aire”. Waiting on the hvac company to reconnect the middle unit which sits on the top shelf. I had that one evacuated and cut so I can access the bottom unit. While I was in there, I noticed the wiring was either 16 or 18 gauge under a thick insulation. I made my own jumper wires with #14. Soldered everything. The shelves were rotted so I made new ones covered in rubber coin material.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

nicely done

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Nice job. Make sure contractor sweats in a new filter drier.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, I did tell them to bring one since it's a small line size.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon, what is the grey finish you used on the cabinet metal? Looks great.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I just sprayed the compartment with Rustoleum industrial "machine grey" spray paint.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312