You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Used Coach Inspection

Hello all--I'm considering purchasing a 1995 Newell non-slide to use for full time living and traveling (30K+ miles per year).  I've owned a Bluebird Wanderlodge, a non-slide Prevost XL, and an American Heritage 2 slide fiberglass coach, so I'm fairly familiar with most general systems.  I've been full-timing for 7 years now.  I'm not comfortable making a purchase without having an inspection done.  The coach is in the Dallas area--was wondering if anyone here could recommend someone that could perform a THOROUGH inspection for me, and what an average cost of such inspection might be. 

This is a link to the coach I'm considering--it's fairly detailed in both description and photos, and also seems very open about what currently needs attention.  Considering the price, I would (in comparison to my Prevost and my Bluebird) expect that I could end up with a pretty good coach for an additional $20-30K in repairs/upgrades.  Would also appreciate any comments that would confirm or contradict that expectation. 

Newell Coach 394

Thanks in advance. . .

Contact Keith Risch in Nacogdoches, TX, about 2.5 hours away. He regularly drives or flies all over to inspect coaches. He is a excellent mechanic having worked for Fortravel and then Motorhomes of Texas for years. MOT has sold Newells for years giving him lots of exposure to fixing them for new owners.

9 three 6 462 3764

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

I thin that if you are full-timing with another person, the absence of slides will have a negative effect on your family group. If you are full-timing and still doing some "work-at-home," I'd suggest a Newell with the rear lounge and Murphy bed. It's an enormous amount of space. They are a little hard to find!

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

Nice find Rudy. Didn't know MOT had a mechanic that would travel for an inspection.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Congratulations on your potential purchase. It’s a nice coach at a very fair price. I can say that we have a non slide and for us it works perfectly. If I could afford to build a new one, it would be with no slides. As we get older, less crap to go wrong is better. On the plus side, my wife and I are both thin. Everyone has their preferences.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Brad, Keith is out on his own now, so call him direct for repairs too.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

Nice. Does he work out of a shop there in TX or does he do mobile work? A good mobile tech could be as busy as they wanted to be and do nothing but Newell, Foretravel and Prevost work. I thought I had a guy lined up for us to do mobile air, suspension, brake work but he's shutting down his mobile work and will be semi retired just working out of his shop in Kankakee, IL. This guy spent the last 10 years on the road working almost exclusively on Prevost air, suspension, brakes. Scheduled out his work so there was not a lot of back tracking and made his way across the country. Actually I forget you know a ton of Prevost guys too so you probably know Joe.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Brad, call him and ask him. Bigger the job, more incentive to come to you.

Rudy Legett
Southeast Texas Area

Rudy, I’m going to head up to Kankakee in August. Nice little 4 hour cruise for me.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

I'm curious how the inspection went. We're you able to find someone? Better or worse than you thought?