You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shop Air

Recommended pressure for shop air is 120 psi, my coach is a 2005.

When I park my coach at my shop/home I connect the shore power cord to a 50 amp receptacle and connect my shop’s air compressor to the coach with a air hose. 

Connecting an external air source saves where and tear on the 120 volt onboard air compressors, mine has a dual 120 volt air compressor system.

In the right side engine bay compartment is the air connection that allows 120 psi “Shop Air” to be connected.

[attachment=9950]

[attachment=9951]

[attachment=9952]

Benefits of Shop Air include:
Reduced run time on coach onboard air compressors.
Constant air pressure to systems and accessories such as airbags, leveling system, brakes, slide seals, toilets, entry and interior doors, and air horn. 

The shop compressor regulator system manages the pressure. It is recommended that shop air be properly regulated, filtered, and preferably has a desiccant system to further reduce moisture from entering the air line. 

(The external air source should be sufficient enough to provide 120 psi)

Please debunk or add to the information. 
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

1 have done 125 for years. When I go to anywhere I might hook up to shop air I take my own regulator

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, do you have a preferred regulator that you would take and would you also use something to remove moisture? Had this exact situation the other day where I could have hooked up to shop air, but didn't have a regulator and i'm thinking about getting a separate compressor for my storage bay. Right now my system is pretty tight so the compressor doesn't run much, but with the cost of those compressors and the pain of finding a new one I'm thinking a shop unit might make sense. Current onboard compressor is brand new and would like to stretch it's life as long as I can.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

There are two things to consider. One a short term and one a long term.

The short term is many shops have air at 150 psig or higher. Two bad things can happen if you hook up directly to this pressure. The pressure relief valves on the coach air tanks can relieve. And you can explode an air bag if you just hit the raise button without thinking. The airbags are rated at 125. Take it from someone who has overpressured and air bag and saw it explode, it is not something you want to do.

The long term is if you are storing a coach with an aux air supply, you really should consider if the air supply is dry or if you need some drier system for pumping air into your coach all storage season.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Please fact check…

In therory, while using shop air and 50 amp shore power, the coach can be placed in Travel Mode and the slides extended or retracted.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

I usually run to the beat of a different drummer so, here is my take.  I don’t see any need to have 120psi while not moving. Why?  The doors work fine at 90-100 as does the suspension system, the seals and microphor are regulated down as well.  

California air tools sells an off shore compressor that is fairly high quality, CAT-4610-AC.  Mine is almost ten years old and serves daily either outside (in a trailer like building) or inside winter storage.  The output is routed through a water  oil separator before connecting to the coach.  I never see any water out of my tanks!  My onboard Thomas compressor uses a smaller version of a water oil separator as well.

My 2 cents worth!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I too have 2 120-volt air compressors. the Aux unit doesn't always start, I think it is a bad capacitor. I have a spare and will debug that asap. I spent 4 months south and didn't want to rely on the one Thomas unit so I bought one at harbor freight. 2 Gallon 135 PSI Ultra Quiet Hand Carry Jobsite Air Compressor. it was under $200. it has more capacity than the Thomas unit and is quieter. It looks like the pump could replace the Thomas unit if I take the compressor off the tank. I have used this for 3 month and like it. I talked to Newell and they told me to hook it to the lower rear air hose connector in the engine bay. I use an air drier before the coach to ensure good air. I regulated the air pressure to 120 on the harbor freight unit.

2006 Newell #760
Cat 625
ZF 12

Jeff

You are correct, with shop air at 120 and coach in travel mode, you can move the slides.

I would not try this with shop air at 90 because it takes about 110 to float the coach on the rear air bags.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My shop compressor goes to 175 psi. I bought a relatively inexpensive Harbor Freight air filter with a regulator that I have set to 120 psi. I intend to install another one on my coach where I plug the shop air into.

[Image: 58178_W3.jpg]

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Newbie question on this topic. 
I need to drain the water from the Newell installed aux 110v compressor dryer. Do I need to dump the air before draining or can I just remove the water bowl to dump the water since it does not have a hose connected to the bottom of the bowl. 
Thanks... Paul

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad