You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bode Door selenoid switch failure

After mechanic at MCC resort fixed our Bode door we all were thinking that plunger pin was sticking and that was the problem and partialy it wa sthe problem.

We hit the road and two days later , door stop working ! only way to open was to pull the air out using bay valve and push the door by hand.

I took the switch panel out ( by the door ) where inlumiantor,selenoid switches and other light switches are and after looking at two selenoinds I noticed that the far away one ( door switch ) black plastic casing was cracked. After talking to Newell they walked me trough the mercury sensors in the bay where the door opener relay i located, I did eleiminated mercury sensor and just spliced two wires together.

My wife and I figured that we can check the selenoid switches by reversing contact wires and witch the wires from door lock selenoid ( good selenoid ) to the cracked one ( door open selenoid )

We than tried the door and worked each time , we had no lock since we used now only one elenoid but it was good fest fix.
Cheryl ordered from Newell over night new selenoid ( dont ask me how much was it , I dont want to know haha! ) I found that those are no longer in production and I am sure Newell has stack of them , they have replaced with more sofisticated one and harder to wire to our older Newells that is what they said on the phone to my wife.

When i reference check they were at one time for $24-40 on line , but again, I tried several sources and they said they are out of production!

Even the one we got from Newell it hase aditional 2-4 more spade contacts, not sure what for , we just left them alone !

After getting new selenoid , i found out that Newell existing wire tip fittings are to big! quick trip to Radio S. and I got one ize smaller fittings.

We put both elenoids together ( same time I replaced blown red door lock light ) never works and it heat up !!! I replaced with new LED type red light, smaller size from Radio S. I just cut the bottom part of the original one , pulled ald bulb and tight fitted new one, now I have nice led bulb there , no heat and should work for some 50,000 hrs

Anyway, our door works flowesly now! It was great to look in to entire sytem and learned how things work and whye the dont work.

also, please notice that when you need new elenoid from newell , the Tyco Co who made them have changed the part number ( please see the photo with info )

If your door ever stop working you might have problem with selenoid switch at the panel like we had and its easy to check and test them.

Well, we have 2 more problems to work on: need to rekay our door lock ( put new code since it got confused after repairs and wont lock now ) and on our way to Redding Ca are from Palm springs some 700 miles out fuel tank gauge is shoing emepty, looks like ground wiring or another ensor of sort?

always something !!! hehe part of the fulltiming live!!!

Sorry again guys for my bad english!!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

hi les. you are turning into quite the mechanic. good work.

when you say "rekey" the lock, you mean reprogram the keypad for the door lock?

also, for others to know, there is a mercury switch on the bay door to the right of the airdoor. just like the ones to turn the light on in the bay. the second switch stops the airdoor from opening when the bay door is open. or they would crunch each other.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(04-07-2013, 11:11 AM)encantotom Wrote:  hi les. you are turning into quite the mechanic. good work.

when you say "rekey" the lock, you mean reprogram the keypad for the door lock?

also, for others to know, there is a mercury switch on the bay door to the right of the airdoor. just like the ones to turn the light on in the bay. the second switch stops the airdoor from opening when the bay door is open. or they would crunch each other.

tom

Yes, we are re setting our lock case is not working right now, I do have manual

So, I should put that mercury sensor back case my door could crush the bay door! I might have shore there? never tried with open bay , dont want to find out!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, my coach #579 probably has the same fuel gauge and sending unit. I have a spare gauge and sending unit and I can supply you with some "how to" if you plan to replace the sending unit without removing the tank.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(04-07-2013, 11:45 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Les, my coach #579 probably has the same fuel gauge and sending unit. I have a spare gauge and sending unit and I can supply you with some "how to" if you plan to replace the sending unit without removing the tank.

Cheter,
Thank you for the offer! I have to look in to it, since we are traveling and on tight schedulle for next 4 months, no way I would remove the tank.
Not sure if there is something else I can look in ? like perhaps loose wire between gauge and sensor etc..
We got so busy with other repairs on the road , tuff just popping up every week, haha!!!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

If I can remember, I will bring the spares to Spearfish in case anyone needs them.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

We solved problem with the lock door code , fallowed Tom's coach instructions and now we have perfectly working door with lock working, light on and can program lock on the door.

Thanks Tom and rest of the forum guys for help.

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb