You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant in hydraulic fluid

Hey Guys,
Had the oil changed recently, and noticed the level on my hydraulic reservoir was above the max fill line.
Upon further inspection, I noticed the hydraulic fluid to have a milky appearance. I'm at at loss as to how
coolant can get in the hydraulic system, as my radiator and my hydraulic coolers are separate units.
I have a call in to Newell, but wanted to post here in case anyone else has seen/had this problem
Coach #763, CAT C15 w/ZF12 speed.
Thank you,
Ross

Rossman #763
2013 Raptor toad
2004 Mini Cooper S toad
2013 BMW K1600GTL

Ok, are you basing on coolant in system based on appearance or test results which show coolant in system? Scientific way is to send it to Blackstone or someone else. Redneck way is to take hot (circulated hydraulic) and put in a clear container. Let it set over nite. The oil and coolant will separate.

Hot ATF (the hydraulic oil) expands significantly over cold.

Has anyone added coolant to the engine lately? In other words could they have mistakenly added it to the hyd tank?

I don’t know anything about the CAT engine, can coolant breach into the hyd pump?

Just giving you some things to think about.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

How did you go about testing if there was any coolant in it?
Would you recommend doing it yourself or visiting a mechanic?

What Richard said. If anyone has done maintenance on it there is reason to suspect that. Friend had his Mercedes radiator filled with DEF at a Mercedes dealer......

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling