You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2009 Manual Regen Question

Does anyone know if the 2009  Cat C15 models have a manual Regen button?

2009 Newell #1285
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

No. You can have one added, Fabick Cat has added them. Is your ard head going bad?

Thank you aFrench for the reply! I think I have a DPF sensor going bad but it could be the ARD. It all started with 321 and 319 error codes on the engine monitor. We stopped at the CAT shop in Spokane, they did a forced Regen, they thought it was a sensor but couldn’t get it to error again. The errors resurfaced after 800 miles and quickly went into Derate mode with the 501 high soot load. I stopped at another Truck repair shop and there software indicated a clean DPF filter so I think the ARD maybe ok. We’re now stuck in Bakersfield waiting on the CAT shop to open on Monday, finger crossed.

I did put the ANCEL HD 3600 scanner on order, it should allow me to force a Regen. I will post my findings in case anyone else has this issue in the future.

2009 Newell #1285
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I came across your message and thought I would include my DPF experiences over the last few days. We have #1277, so a very similar coach. I had error codes 318-4 and 320-4 "/LOVOLT". They were intermittent for the last few months but became persistent. Then Sunday I had 151-0 and finally 151-11 "DPF1 SOOT LOAD HIGH", followed by a derating to 50% power, and finally, the dash flashed "STOP ENGINE".

I stopped within a couple of miles because the next event would be a forced engine shutdown. A recovery truck took us to Peterson Cat, Medford, OR, who were excellent.

The errors were sensors on the curbside DPF filter, which were reporting short to ground, disconnecting them reported stuck high, which confirmed it was the sensors. The sensors were in stock and cost about $600. Once the sensors were fitted, the engine was forced into regen, and the problem was solved.

The short version is, don't ignore the 318-4 and 320-4 "LOVOLT" error messages because they prevent regen, which will bite you in the end.

I still have an intermittent 328-4 "/LOVOLT" which is an air temperature sensor on the input to the ARD (the diesel burner that does the regen), but it's nearly impossible to reach behind the engine. I have a leaking charge air cooler, which will be replaced in January, so the sensor will be accessible and replaced.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling. 

FWIW Cummins ISX powered 1482 has a Regen button under the driver side console and beside the switch that allows the transmission to go into gear with the slides out

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Silver button? Never seen it before until now. Must be something they made standard?

(12-07-2023, 07:55 AM)afrench Wrote:  Silver button? Never seen it before until now. Must be something they made standard?

Those 2 features were started later on; the REGEN button started with the Cummins (FYI, I think the latest ECM update defeated that button's operation on our coach).

Not exactly sure when the "SLIDE OVERRIDE" switch started being installed

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Here it is on 1482     

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Sure enough, it's there on my Cat! I wasn't expecting that. I don't think it would have triggered a regen because of my DPF sensor issue, but I'd have tried if I had known; maybe it just fires up the ARD with default settings. I did call the Newell hotline when I was forced to pull over and was told that I was done, so I'm doubtful it would have gone into regen.

If I saw the sensor "LOVOLT" warning messages or "HIGH SOOT LOAD" I'd use that button to see if it would regen. After the sensor fix, the mechanical set the high idle to 1,200rpm, waited until the temperature was >115F, then forced a regen.

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling.