You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Need help to start engine or tow 701, towing driver ask how to open the front tray

Quote:I would want to verify something before I allowed that shop to have any more of my money.

Will the coach air up in LEVEL mode? If it does, then air bags are NOT the problem.

Excellent suggestions and questions.  I could not test and did not ask the shop because I was afraid that question might irritate them.
I'd guess they'd most likely say "yes of course", otherwise we wouldn't email you on Thursday, June 23 saying "the service work is done and RV is ready for pickup."

I could not test this myself because I and the tow truck driver was never able to re-start the engine - dead batteries.
We tried various ways to restart - including jump start using my truck, my "NOCO Boost Pro GB150 3000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter",  jump start by AAA road service (3rd party), charging using jumper cable with the tow truck(big semi-truck), etc.. all failed. I notice this high-capacity battery pack drops quickly from 12v to about 8V, at this voltage, cranking it all you get some clicks, but not strong enough to turn or start the engine.

On the day of picking up the coach Tuesday 28th,  after the tech charged it for 15 or 20 minutes, the engine cranked/started, after another 15 or so, I can see it airs up and leveled. The battery charging took a while as the tech initially started with a battery booster that didn't seem to budge, later he brought a gasoline-powered charger, and waited charging for 15 or 20 minutes before the engine cranked/started.

The towing distance from where the coach was parked from the shop was only 3 or 4 miles. The cost for towing cost I heard was like $2600, it took them a while because the tow truck company was trying to get (additional) cost approval from my insurance.  Fortunately, I did not hear from my insurance that I must cough up some $

When I first smell smoke until I stop was like 2 minutes drive, initially thought its something outside not my RV. 
This means the RV lost leveling and start to lean very soon I drove out shop's parking lot. When the tow truck arrived a couple of hours later, the engine could not be re-started as the batteries were dead. 

After reading your suggestions, I was thinking to try to start the generator, but not enough battery to start anything. All battery terminals (without disconnecting or re-connecting anything) were measured to be about only 4 volts. So starting the generator to charge or testing in "LEVEL" mode was never possible.

The initial service request includes works for checking air leaks and replacing airbags. I ordered and dropped shipped to them 4, they only used 2, leaving 2 unused in the storage tray.  I ordered 4, one time from Germany and 2nd-time from Poland because the shop could not find them within the USA or from Newell. The 1st order came from Germany supposed to be complete sets, but that didn't come with a top base. Re-ordered from Poland came in as complete sets (bottom & top metal base, piston, rubber sleeves).

Quote:Ask the tech at the shop, WHO he has spoken with at Newell?

I'll ask them about this and update you once I have that info.

Quote:Is this a shop that normally works on Newells?

This shop specializes in servicing chassis and suspensions. And was one of the shops I found online that described services for various RV models. I believe one time Newell had a service directory that included this company. To avoid causing potentially publicity or negative perception, I will not post the name of this shop but I can pm you.

Photos showing both engine battery and house battery are exact same 4 volts = this seems to me to infer the two group batteries are already "MERGED". 
Since I never, nor did any of the tow truck drivers touch the battery MERGE switch, I'd guess the batteries already set MERGE at the shop. Am I making wild assumptions?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Hey Gang,

I have spoken with Joe, and here is the bigger situation. He has spent less than an hour in this coach since he bought it. He drove it less than five miles from the auction lot to the repair place. Therefore he has not had the opportunity to understand how anything works on the coach, even the most basic functions. From our conversation neither does the repair shop.

Are there any Gurus in the DFW area that could meet him at the coach just north of Fort Worth, and walk him through the basics?

The batteries are toast because nothing was turned off when he left the coach for repair. As a brand new owner he did not know to do so. I have advised to replace the chassis batteries, make sure the merge switch is not merged, and turn off both disconnect switches on the house batteries. He can replace those later when not at a CAT dealer. This will allow him to crank the coach and build air pressure.

I next advised to just put the coach in travel mode and see if it will come to travel height. If it does, and will remain at travel for 30 minutes, then crank the coach again and leave that shop in the rear view camera. Their wholesale approach of replace all the air bags and HCVs is not diagnosis. I am afraid the shop is not knowledgeable in the operation of the coach either, and without some intervention from a Newell owner who knows the basics this situation is going from bad to worse.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Joe,
I wish I was close enough to DFW to go on site and help. I do as much of my own work as I physically can.
Newell's are wonderful machines and get even better when we understand how they work and how our own is configured.
I had a tech come help me once. He works on the NASCAR and other racecar driver coaches. He said he spends at least 30 nights at the Daytona International Speedway taking care of coaches during race times.
He said, "I know the systems in Newell's. I just don't know how exactly your coach is put together. They're all a little different." He fixed my issues without spending extra hours learning our systems. I stayed at his side and answered the questions he asked as they came. His and Richard's analysis techniques run parallel to each other.
I hope the issues you are having at the onset of your adventure with Newell's does not stop you from a long time of enjoying yours.
My home is in the Daytona Beach, FL area. If you are close, with or without issues, give me a call.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

hbens Wrote:Joe,
I wish I was close enough to DFW to go on site and help. I do as much of my own work as I physically can.
Newell's are wonderful machines and get even better when we understand how they work and how our own is configured.
I had a tech come help me once. He works on the NASCAR and other racecar driver coaches. He said he spends at least 30 nights at the Daytona International Speedway taking care of coaches during race times.
He said, "I know the systems in Newell's. I just don't know how exactly your coach is put together. They're all a little different." He fixed my issues without spending extra hours learning our systems. I stayed at his side and answered the questions he asked as they came. His and Richard's analysis techniques run parallel to each other.
I hope the issues you are having at the onset of your adventure with Newell's does not stop you from a long time of enjoying yours.
My home is in the Daytona Beach, FL area. If you are close, with or without issues, give me a call.

Thank you very much Hank for your input.

I wish I can grow my knowledge fast enough to be soon able to work on my coach to these fix problems.
I have really learned a lot last several days, special thanks to Richard who has genoursly provided me with his insights and step-by-step diagnosis methods. 

And thanks for your kindness, likewise, if you are ever close to DFW/Greenville area, feel free to stop by and have a stay here.
I have an electrical hook-up already and the water line is not yet, probably done in 2-3 months, welcome you and fellow gurus to stop by or have a stay.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control