You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

air suspension issues

So I have a 98 model newell. new issue...
start up the coach and all runs great. hit the hwh leveling system and put it in travel mode , lights on controller activate but the coach will not air up in the front or in the rear, coach is currently sitting all the way down on the ground. I cannot even get it to raise the rear with the air chuck in the back battery compartment. I have been all over this thing trying to figure this on out, All air guages are at 120 psi. This just happened, Any help would be appreciated.  feel free to pm me if needed.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Sounds like either an electrical problem at the HWH solenoids or the Computer needs to be reset.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

First simple check…….with the ignition ON, place a steel washer on the travel solenoids. In the engine compartment, they will be the two closest to the forward bulkhead.

If they are magnetized, then shop air shop raise the coach.

I suspect they will not be.

Unplug the packard connector and hot wire one of the solenoids to 12V. Polarity is unimportant with the solenoid unplugged.

Does one of the rear corners raise? I suspect it will.

If it does, you have likely blown a fuse in the HWH control panel located in D1 compartment, under the driver’s feet. You should have a schematic on the inside of the cover. If you can’t find the fuse. Let us know.

Please report back with findings.

I am back from today’s hike. Call me if it’s an emergency. 8172232056

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard ty for the help. It was the fuse. Ty for letting me know where it was. now a quick question. Again this coach is new to me so still working on the bugs.
1. can you drive the coach in the raised setting if needed ?
2. when the coach is at travel height the tires still sit above the rear fender wells, is this correct ? you can get about 1 finger between tire and fender.
3. how much air is needed in the tanks before the coach starts to raise up. I am noticing the air gauges is only showing about 100 psi. Think I might need to either adj the air compressor gov. or replace it.

Richard ty for the help. It was the fuse. Ty for letting me know where it was. now a quick question. Again this coach is new to me so still working on the bugs.
1. can you drive the coach in the raised setting if needed ?
2. when the coach is at travel height the tires still sit above the rear fender wells, is this correct ? you can get about 1 finger between tire and fender.
3. how much air is needed in the tanks before the coach starts to raise up. I am noticing the air gauges is only showing about 100 psi. Think I might need to either adj the air compressor gov. or replace it.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

No, you cannot drive the coach in the raised setting. After you exceed about 5mph the HWH system will revert to travel mode. There is a work around, pulling the fuse you just replaced, BUT driving in the raised mode should only be done in an emergency. If you have an air bag leak, you will soon be driving with the coach on the tires. No bueno.

If you look inside the rear fender well at the front, you will see a 1 inch square tubing that the framework is attach to. The bottom of that tubing is the “official” ride height measurement point. It should be between 11 1/2 and 12 inches.

However, you may have identified the problem before you go adjusting ride height valves. If the coach air system will not reach 120 psi, the rear WILL NOT come up to proper ride height. You are right check the engine air compressor governor. You probably noticed a gauge close to the rear solenoid six pack. 80 psi will float the front air bags, but it takes 110 to fully float the rear. Many folks have gone on goose chases with six packs and ride height valves, when the problem was low air pressure.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard, the ride height measurement at the back, is that for all year coaches? What is a reference point for the front height?
Thank you!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,

Look for similar square tube inside the front fender well, at the back of the well.

To the best of my knowledge, the same ride height applies.

Another caveat. When checking ride height, ALWAYS lower the coach below normal travel ride height. Then put into travel mode and allow it to raise. There is enough hysterisis (slop) in most ride height valves, that lowering to travel height results in inconsistent measurement. You can spend a whole day and get no where if you don’t utilize the lower first, raise to travel method.

One more HUGE watch out for those with independent front suspension coaches. A minor change in ride height has a significant impact on toe in.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Still having ride height issues, no help from newell. Richard I have done a massive amount of troubleshooting and am very familiar with air suspension. 

replaced the govenor. not much difference
I have 110 on the primary gauge and 90 psi on the gauge in the rear compartment by the 6 pack.  so the coach when i put it into raise mode it will raise the rear, when it goes back into travel mode it will go back down to ride height, then you can hear the valves cycling every once and while and the coach drop to the ground.
no matter which setting i put it in the front will not go up at all

so I cut the airlines loose at the front block and the rear block.  hooked a air compressor off my service truck to both valves. unit is none responsive in the front with the hwh controls, but i can air the coach up then shut off a home made valve and it will stay there.  as for the rear it will cycle with the hwh control pad but will never stay where it is suppost to be. no major air leaks found ( sure there are a tiny few, but not enough to give me this issue). ride height valves in rear are set correctly. 
This is a new coach to me but definatly cant drive the beast without fixin it.

HELP PLEASE  ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT A PHONE NUMBER i CAN CALL TO TRY AND EXPLAIN OR GET SOME MORE INFO.
Thanks

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

If you unhooked ALL of the 12v power to 6pack AND supplied 12v to just
The raise part will coach air up?
  I’m wondering if it could be wiring to HWH panel

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

When you say you hear the valves cycling, are you talking about the six pack valves or the ride height control valves?

Please provide a bit more detail on what happens when you air the rear bags directly.

Email me a phone number and I will call you tomorrow. I am in cell phone nowhere land, so I have to make the calls.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad