You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Future engines????

During the production tour, our salesman was asked what the future held for engines. LPG? Interestingly he felt they would probably go in the direction of the railroad locomotives---an engine that runs a series of electrical motors with a way to store energy for when it was needed. He stressed that nothing is currently on the drawing table, but felt this would be the next engine trend some time in the unknown future.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thats interesting... maybe they'll power it with the new DD http://www.demanddetroit.com/engines/dd16/default.aspx

Jimmy

(04-09-2013, 06:05 AM)Ozarkguy Wrote:  Thats interesting... maybe they'll power it with the new DD http://www.demanddetroit.com/engines/dd16/default.aspx

We have discussed using the DD16 engine, the problem being Mercedes owns Detroit Diesel and Freightliner. Freightliner is big in RV chassis manufacturing, so Mercedes might be considering us as competition?Undecided

That would be strange if for no other reason than shear #'s. Many mfg's use the Freight Liner but to my knowledge none = Newell's chassis or class. You would think it would go along with the Prestage Factor for them to have Newell choose their engine!! Has anyone tried to order a coach with the new DD?

Mercedes even sells their small Diesel engine which is then modified for the Diamond Aircraft co. and others Go figure....

Jimmy

If you look at the big picture, it seems to me that a Natural Gas engine build for long haul heavy machines makes a lot of sense. Our country produces a lot of NG and it is as good on the environment as any fossil fuel. So, if I were king for a day, I would put lots of research dollars into building big NG engines.

Then, I would use our on-shore petroleum production for cars / boats / planes.

I am not a big fan of hybrid engines for two reasons....One is the batteries that they use are filled with bad chemicals and are themselves a hazard. (See Boeing 787). The other is more subjective....I have never seen a Prius driver actually smiling. Never. Ever. Next time you see a Prius...look at the driver and see if you see the same thing.

The opposite is true of Newell drivers. They all see as if they were a cat that ate a canary. Big, big smile.

Cheers,
bill
ps. I do not mean to offend anyone who drives a Prius. ... only those that smugly shake their head when I roll by in the Baxtermobile.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

bill, you are spot on. i have never seen anyone smiling in a prius. i had one as a rental car in san francisco last year and i wasnt smiling either. it is not made for someone the size of bigfoot. my eyes were above the top of the windshield. it was too small inside.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Diesel engines have high Torque numbers. Torque more than horsepower is what is needed to get a large vehicle moving. CNG would be OK if you were running a generator/motor combination similar to locomotives. You would need a battery pack for peak demand though.
Many Prius drivers tend to be tree huggers who are convinced that mans presence on earth is harming the earth. IMO their perceived attitude has more to do with their outlook on life than the automobile they have to suffer driving.
I enjoy driving and my joy is not diminished when I am reminded of the millions of jobs that are created by burning oil which is much more renewable than was originally believed.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I wish that I could flat tow a prius behind the Baxtermobile. I think that would get more than a few stares and would start many conversations.

On a more serious note...wouldn't it be cool if you could flat tow a Chevy volt and use the coach to charge the thing?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If I had to have one then http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jan/...i-Mileage/ would be it looks like a car.. But I prefer good ole' Diesel or jet fuel... besides I get 44-46 mpg on my Jetta TDI.. No batteries or plug-in's required...

I still think the new DD16 engine.. would be a good option for Newell, for those that are not in love with the Cummings engines....

Jimmy

(05-07-2013, 04:50 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Diesel engines have high Torque numbers. Torque more than horsepower is what is needed to get a large vehicle moving. CNG would be OK if you were running a generator/motor combination similar to locomotives. You would need a battery pack for peak demand though.
Many Prius drivers tend to be tree huggers who are convinced that mans presence on earth is harming the earth. IMO their perceived attitude has more to do with their outlook on life than the automobile they have to suffer driving.
I enjoy driving and my joy is not diminished when I am reminded of the millions of jobs that are created by burning oil which is much more renewable than was originally believed.

One of our customers owns a large fleet of 18 wheelers. He is testing twelve trucks using a fuel combo of 60% diesel and 40% CNG. He and the driver's are very pleased with the setup thus far.