You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to access to the generator on early classic coaches?

I acquired a 1973 Newell from an auction and was only able to get a walk around look at it before buying. This is one of the older diesel pushers with the Cat 1160 and a 6.5kw onan gas generator in the front behind an easily removable cover that looks like a grill. The generator does not respond at all to the start button and it is tucked back in there pretty tightly so I can only access the front of it but not the part where the starter and other motor components are. It looks like it is on a slide out rail type of system but from what I can see I would have to remove the front bumper and a lower grill and take out some retaining bolts in order to be able to slide it out. Is this the easiest way to access the generator on these models? I was looking if maybe there was a cover on the inside that I could remove and access it from the top like an old van motor or something but it is all carpeted and it did not look like there was any type of cover I could remove (unless it is under the carpet and I have to pull up the carpet first to see it). When I searched the forums on one thread someone mentioned a removable section from the center of their bumper that they took out and then they could slide the genset out but my bumper is one piece. The bumper looks like it only has 4 bolts holding it in but if there is an easier way I'd rather not have to deal with removing a big heavy bumper. Thanks in advance for any help.

1973 Newell Coach (33' Cat 1160 motor)
Tacoma, WA Tongue

The front bumper has to come off to slide the generator out to work on it.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Yup, that's pretty much how you get it out.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Later models had a 3 piece bumper so that the middle could be removed.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

After you take the bumper off and open or remove the grill cover, you have to disconnect the generator's exhaust manifold pipe from the rest of the exhaust pipe. (Mine takes about a 1 1/4 inch wrench.) There probably is also a pin in place on the slide that you have to remove. After doing both those things the generator should slide right out easily. Not doing either of these can result in a lot of fruitless banging and much personal embarrassment. Don't ask how I know this.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

My coach is a 1975 - the generator instead of being a diesel was an Onan gas generator 6500 watt. It looked original but could have been replaced in the last 45+ years. Mine had some kind of slide on it but it was bent bad enough that I couldn't get it to move. It did have some kind old bolt or something to prevent it from moving.

What Dean said on the bumper. The middle section of mine comes off with some work. Also mine has a front door to access the generator compartment. I put a Generac 8500 diesel box unit in. I had to do some customization to get it in - but it works. Message me if I can help. If your bumper is one piece a butane torch and penetrating oil are your friend. I think the battery cables that go to the generator go all the way back to the R R engine compartment. I can verify that if needed. Try to save the chrome bolts if you can, they are a little hard to find.

These are all custom build so things may be different on yours.

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea