You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaking diesel return line on C15

I'm getting a little frustrated on this one. We aren't going anywhere this summer, so I've got lots of time. About 6 weeks ago I noticed a diesel leak under the coach. It was leaking on the exhaust crossover. I took some pictures and we kept getting higher up, following the leak. Last week we identified the culprit - a leak in the return line. There is a return filter on the side of the C15, above and foot back from the starter. They started with a black braided hose (about 2.5 ft) - just about getting past everything then they had some fittings that changed the braided line to end with a push-on with 5/8" green plastic hose. Reaching under that found the leak (about a drop every 10 seconds). Doesn't sound like much, until it does it for weeks...
We were already surprised by the push on fitting and we got more surprised when it was an air fitting. I doubt much that the o-rings were viton. I talked to Newell parts and know one knows anything. I definitely don't want to go back to a push on air fitting. Tomorrow I will call Service. Every Newell has a return line. so somebody should have some ideas. Its low pressure too...
I'm leaning toward a 1/2" ID barb to a 1/2" NPT male fitting. 316 SS, It is good for diesel and I can put one or two worm drive clamps. McMaster-Carr 53505K73 appears to be close.
I've had no luck finding a 5/8" compression fitting with a 1/2" NPT male end that is built for a 5/8" hard hose for diesel, or a push-on for that matter.

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

Dave,

What fitting is on the end of the braided hose? You may find it is a 37 degree JIC. It it is, you will have to transition from the JIC fitting to NPT. No problem, McMaster will have what you need.

The barb with clamps should be just fine if you have to use rubber fuel hose

Maybe this is what you are looking for. If you want to use the hard hose.

https://www.mcmaster.com/50915K332

https://www.mcmaster.com/50915K731

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

There were 3 fittings that made the transition from the braided hose to the hard green plastic. I finally got to talk to Tracy on Friday - he confirmed that they used the push on fitting for the hard line and it was a problem on several coaches. Correct fitting was a 5/8" compression with a male 1/2" NPT. We thought we had it at Lowes, but they were made in china and beat up. Returned that, and went to ACE hardware - The one in Titusville was the biggest I've ever seen and had exactly what we needed. We had been leaning toward a barbed fitting 1/2" IO to 1/2 NPT, but we couldn't find a 5/8" band clamp. 1/2", 3/4" but no 5/8"
Got the fitting on today - Al is a wizard after all the work he has done on his beautiful 2003. No leak at all when we were done. We had to cut off about a 1/2" of the plastic line - the original install also included an angled 2-3 degree cut for the push-on that was part of the problem. not a nice 90 degree

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

Hello,

I have a similar but different diesel leak on the same line and spoke with Newell about it.  My leak is also on the green tubing that is the fuel return line, but the leak is occurring at the push lock fitting on the diesel tank.  It is conveniently located in the middle of the coach in the front passenger side of the coach.  Seems there is not enough pressure in the return line for the push lock to seal properly.

Newell indicated the fix would be to empty the tank, lower it enough to gain access to pull the original fitting which has a short dip tube, replace the fitting with a compression fitting, lift the tank back up and then refill it.  

Ours was found as we smelled diesel in the bedroom after a downhill and seeing the bottom of the coach, this was not the first time as I can see diesel stains on the insulation below.

If anyone has any other ideas how to remedy, happy to hear them!  The photo makes it look like there is room to get in there...ah, maybe not 
.pdf Diesel Leak.pdf Size: 2.68 MB  Downloads: 20

BTW, Swagelok makes very good compression fittings, but a bit $$$.

Jerry & Cyndi Hayes
Bella, our Maltipoo Sidekick
2008 Newell Coach #1247, Quad-Slide
2010 Mini Cooper Toad
Phoenix, AZ

Jerry,

A hack that may help is to cut 3/8 inch off the existing line and put it back in. The issue with the push on fitting is the tubing deforms over time.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Hi Richard,

I agree that would be a great start but the location of the fitting would require me to fast for about 6 months to slide in there I think. It is just about as far from where you can reach as possible. Unless there was access from above, it is in a terrible location.

Jerry & Cyndi Hayes
Bella, our Maltipoo Sidekick
2008 Newell Coach #1247, Quad-Slide
2010 Mini Cooper Toad
Phoenix, AZ

I don’t know if the modern era tanks are configured like mine, but this might be an interesting read for you to help understand Newell methods on the tanks.
http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=6935

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad