You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Heat pump issue

the first time one of the check valves got stuck was when i had parked it at place for my daughter to use for the weekend in december. she called and said it was cold in the front of the coach. i went over and i called rudy. he said rap the valve with hammer.....i did and it fixed it. easiest fix ever on the newell......ha

that said, i would suspect you are getting heat to the whisper units and that the little fans are bad.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

A brief recap from my post on the previous page - only to document what I have experienced for future reference if needed:

One quick question so I am clear, which heaters rely on the Aquahot and which ones are electric and independent? I have the following aside from the roof units:

1) Floor unit at driver's feet (activated by switch in console)
2) Baseboard unit under desk in salon (activated by thermostat in galley)
3) Baseboard unit in Galley
4) Heated floor in galley (electric but listing anyway)
5) Baseboard unit in middle half bath (activated by thermostat in half bath)
6) Baseboard unit under the bed
7) Floor unit in rear bath (activated by thermostat in bath)
8) Heated floor in rear bath (electric but listing anyway)

Richard responded:

"1,2,3,5,6,7 all use hot coolant from AH. Or at least they do in our rig."

But this is not the case on mine.  Richard's is a '99 and mine an '04 for reference.

It turns out that the tow-kick heater in my salon is a 1000 watt 120 volt electric unit made by Cadet (see pics).  I should have known is was not related to the Aquahot because it operates from a dedicated 120 volt thermostat over by the sink area.  I have a similar scenario in my rear bath.

After testing the voltage at the thermostat and the heater I determined the issue to be this high temp thermostat inside the heater (see pic with voltage tester).  When I test the other side it shows 120v.

Before I dove into finding a replacement part I figured I'd blow the dust out of it so it would be clean for the rest of the operation.  DON'T DO THIS - don't use compressed air to clean out the squirrel cage fan...I did, and I killed it instantly.  I overspun it and the blades bowed out beyond any reasonable repair (compare the squirrel cage blades in last two images).  It happened really fast...that cage is supper light.

Replacement units range from $275 to $375.  I think I found one on sale for $81...but it sounds too good to be true (see below).

https://www.arestaner.com/cadet-uc101b-e...t%20heater

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

Arestaner.com is mostly a scam website.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

David,

Just push those fan vanes back down straight. I did the exact same thing with my cadets on my previous coach. A little finessing and the vanes were straight. That heater was still going when I sold the coach, some 7 years later.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

I paid about $200 for a new cadet 1000watt bathroom toe kick heater. I think anything less than $150 should be a red flag warning. (Unless it's on eBay)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I dug into the bedroom heater unit today and found that indeed the fans are not turning on while the coils get quite hot.

Before replacing the fans I checked to see if they are getting 12 volts, and they are not. I checked the fuses, like all the fuses because I have no idea which one controls these fans, and I can't find any that are blown.

Any suggestions on next place to look?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

There are three cube relays on the AH wiring panel. Make sure they are not loose. If you have a zone that is working, sway relays with one that is not.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the tip Richard.  I swapped those relays around and I still don't get 12 volts at the fans.  I tested the fans and they do work.

I have noticed that the led in the #1 position of the 12v fuse panel in the rear closet is on and off randomly.  So does #21. Do the leds commonly fail?  I have another place where it is not lit but I know the circuit is working.    

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry

I have 712, mine is a little different I have Aquahot coils under the sink and under the bed the 12v for the fans come from the
Aquahot control board in front of the Aquahot tank I think they are electronic fuses try to push the reset button on the board

John Kosir
712 2004  45-8

Thanks John,

Mine sound the same as yours and for a moment you had my hopes up.  I didn't notice the fuses at the aquahot.  Unfortunately for me they are all good and didn't solve my problem.

Does anyone know where the 12v comes from immediately before the fans under the bed?

David
2004 Newell #695
Series 60
Quad slide front entry