You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

REPLACE DEF DOSER ANNUALLY!
Information 

I realize that the majority of the Gurus are "pre-Def'rs", but for those of us who are less fortunate, this will be of value.  Maybe...you can tell a friend in need.  Wink

I've posted this on the VIP group on FB, just to get the word out.

After quite a bit of research, I've learned that the DEF Doser is recommended to be replaced EVERY YEAR!  The injector gets corroded, and the efficiency diminishes and won't REGEN as effectively.  This can cause excess DEF leaking, Faults, and even a Derate.
In the case of my 2015 ISX, I have a strong feeling that's why I've got DEF crystals forming under my filter.  Plus, I'm seeing white specks stuck to the back of my rig and TOAD.

Kinda interesting how CUMMINS didn't mention, or have a clue about this after I've asked several times!
I first saw this info from a large diesel mechanic on youtube, but did more digging and found a CUMMINS schedule chart...and guess what?  Yup...every 12 months!  Yes, it says 150k, but REMEMBER...just as with tires, our coaches will AGE-OUT before MILING-out!  So, it's the case of "whichever comes first".

Anyway, Cummins sells them for around $200, but the diesel shops suggest that you can get an eBay (or Amazon) version for $30 which works just fine.  So, I'll give that a shot!  I mean, what could go wrong?  Big Grin
BTW, I think we're in luck in terms of accessing the doser.  It appears as though Newell has a Stainless access panel between the battery and engine, which means we can access it from the TOP...wouldn't that be a welcomed change!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

UPDATE AS OF LATE 10/19: I've been in touch with Cummins Tech Support, who dug deep into my engine's S/N. Interestingly, the bulletin I found has vanished without cause, or ANY type of history...Terrific.

Sooo...here's the scoop based on what I know:
These dosers can be damaged by improper purge settings. Cummins apparently addressed that issue several years ago with an ECM update. This must have cleared the issue up enough for them to remove the recommendation for annual Doser replacement. HOWEVER, if you're like me, and have a doser that is damaged, the ECM update doesn't do you any good, and the doser will need to be replaced.

Of course, if you have the newer X15, the ECM is a newer version and you should be able to steer clear of this issue. In fact the DEF Doser is nowhere to be found on the 2021 X15 Maintenance chart; thanks to Tony Pope for pointing me in that direction!

I hope this helps, rather than alarm or confuse. Bottom line, if you have an older ISX, get your ECM updated, and I would STILL have them check the DEF Doser just to be sure it's functioning correctly.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

[Image: DSLogo.gif]
Steve, if you're not familiar with rawze.com, you should check it out. Owner/operator forum for ISX owners.

"YOU NEED AN INVITATION CODE TO Register! -- To obtain an invitation code, please e-mail [email protected] with a reason why you want to join. This keeps the spammers out and our forum clean."
TION CODE TO Register! -- To obtain an invitation code, please e-mail [email protected] with a reason why you want to join. This keeps the spammers out and our forum clean.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

(10-20-2022, 09:40 AM)MrE Wrote:  [Image: DSLogo.gif]
Steve, if you're not familiar with rawze.com, you should check it out. Owner/operator forum for ISX owners.

"YOU NEED AN INVITATION CODE TO Register! -- To obtain an invitation code, please e-mail [email protected] with a reason why you want to join. This keeps the spammers out and our forum clean."
TION CODE TO Register! -- To obtain an invitation code, please e-mail [email protected] with a reason why you want to join. This keeps the spammers out and our forum clean.

HEY, thanks...I actually did see his video on this issue!

More digging has revealed that Cummings made a change in 2017 to the dosing system, which seems to have fixed (or improved) the above issue.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

From what I read, it required an update to the ECU. I bought a Chinese knockoff of the Cummins Inline data link adapter with the Insite program that I've been able to program my ECU with. Rawze has all the information required to get it working.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

(10-23-2022, 09:17 PM)MrE Wrote:  From what I read, it required an update to the ECU. I bought a Chinese knockoff of the Cummins Inline data link adapter with the Insite program that I've been able to program my ECU with. Rawze has all the information required to get it working.

Jon,

When you say "IT required an update to the ECU", which are you referring to?  The new DEF Doser?  A generic Doser?  That can't be...I'd hope.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Steve, start here https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=869

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Ok, thanks Jon...but that information is not at all relevant to what my original post and issue is about.

My 2015 DEF doser is clogged and will take replacing; I have a new one.

I'm not at all concerned with my ECM programming since I've already had Cummins do that, as well as running a PDI Tuner.

Thanks again.
Steve

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(10-19-2022, 04:50 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  UPDATE AS OF LATE 10/19: I've been in touch with Cummins Tech Support, who dug deep into my engine's S/N. Interestingly, the bulletin I found has vanished without cause, or ANY type of history...Terrific.

Sooo...here's the scoop based on what I know:
These dosers can be damaged by improper purge settings. Cummins apparently addressed that issue several years ago with an ECM update. This must have cleared the issue up enough for them to remove the recommendation for annual Doser replacement. HOWEVER, if you're like me, and have a doser that is damaged, the ECM update doesn't do you any good, and the doser will need to be replaced.

Of course, if you have the newer X15, the ECM is a newer version and you should be able to steer clear of this issue. In fact the DEF Doser is nowhere to be found on the 2021 X15 Maintenance chart; thanks to Tony Pope for pointing me in that direction!

I hope this helps, rather than alarm or confuse. Bottom line, if you have an older ISX, get your ECM updated, and I would STILL have them check the DEF Doser just to be sure it's functioning correctly.

Obviously an update to the ECM won't repair a damaged part, but you should take your own advice and get your ECM updated. Use rawze.com to instruct you how to update your ECM so you don't mess anything up.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86

Jon!

I'm not sure why you're on the track of advising me to update me ECM...I've stated above, but let me reiterate that I HAVE ALREADY UPDATED MY ECM to the current version!  This was performed at PDI, CUMMINS, and verified at Newell as well!

Appreciate the help.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA