You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Salon Slide Alignment

I now know I am not the only one that has experienced this salon slide alignment problem.  That, however, did not make it any less annoying.  I put a lot of energy and money into fixing that problem and never succeeded.  You may think selling the coach was a bit extreme - ha ha.   Anyway, let's backup a little and if you keep reading I promise I will get to the part where there is a fix I believe will work.

I travel mostly alone and this problem is a bit worse for anyone single handing.  In my case the front corner of the slide would come in too far.  So far, the locking pin was beyond the mating hole and in danger of ventilating the top of the slide roof.  Within a couple years of ownership I was so frustrated I drove the coach to Miami, OK and had the pros work on the problem.  They had seen that problem before and had a method that involved "bending" the slide back into square.   It was pretty scary, but when completed the slide would properly lock in place.  Unfortunately that only lasted a few months and it was back to coming in too far again.  A call to the factory resulted in "if you bring it back we will try again, no charge".   So another two day trip one way and more work and again it locked in place.  And, yes, another couple months and it was coming in too far again. Grrrrrr    I was no longer interested in another trip west, so I embarked on methods that I alone could use to get it locked.  There were about three iterations with the final one being an electric linear motor I would place between the two columns ( one on each side of the room ) and push the room out enough to get it to lock.  This was a time consuming process, but worked and I could live with it.

I am aware that others with a traveling partner have been able to push the slide out as their partner pushes the retract button and get it to lock.    If that works for you that could be an acceptable workaround.

Another workaround I have heard mentioned is to just stop the retraction process before the pin tries to lock.   This leaves the slide in too far and kind of ugly, but when the slide seal inflates it is probably not going anywhere.

When at Richard's recently he said he had seen in person and online a bracket that was attached to the outside of the slide in the upper corner that would inhibit the slide from going beyond flush with the side of the coach.   Fascinated after all I had been through he was able to show me the picture I have included with this post.  Although not hi resolution, you can easily get the idea.  With that bracket in place it will stop movement in of the top while the bottom completes retracting and touches the limit switch.  And I don't think it looks bad at all.  If I still had my coach I would be on the hunt for that bracket.  It looks cast and like it might have been made for the purpose.   So if anyone reading the thread can chime in about a source it would be very much appreciated.  Even if the casting can't be found it seems to me that a nice plate could be fabricated and even painted to make a very workable fix for this particular problem.  Also, if you happen to know of the root cause for the top coming in too far please post about that.  I am guessing that whatever the root cause happens to be, the fix is going to be a lot more complicated than the addition of a stopping bracket.   
The picture is from a post by Jack Houpe in a thread that had run off the rails by the time his contribution 49 posts into the thread "New LG Mini Split Heat Pump on the Way" appeared.  He may be able to offer some details.

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004