You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

3/8 Push Fittings

Was chasing down a little leak coming out of my 120v compressor and after I fixed that I found a pretty good sized leak coming out of both of these push fittings on the yellow lines.

Curios of a couple things/

1.) What they feed as it looks like it lust comes into this bay, goes through that union and goes right back out?

2.) Is the solution just a compression fitting?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

If you have space, you can just use a straight compression fitting. Looks like they put two 90's and a connector in there for confinement issues.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

It looks like the leak is at the threads where it goes into the other fitting (and not where the tubing goes into the fitting) you can release the tubing then unscrew the fitting. Clean the threads, reseal using either teflon tape or teflon goo then reinstall the fitting and tubing. But if you have a compression fitting I'd use that.
Also that black tubing on the left side of your first picture looks like it is in a bind. You might try to either extend the tubing to get some strain relief where it goes into the fitting or rotate that fitting a bit so it is in line with the tubing.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-03-2023, 05:33 AM)folivier Wrote:  Also that black tubing on the left side of your first picture looks like it is in a bind. You might try to either extend the tubing to get some strain relief where it goes into the fitting or rotate that fitting a bit so it is in line with the tubing.
You have a good eye to see that!

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(01-03-2023, 05:33 AM)folivier Wrote:  It looks like the leak is at the threads where it goes into the other fitting (and not where the tubing goes into the fitting) you can release the tubing then unscrew the fitting. Clean the threads, reseal using either teflon tape or teflon goo then reinstall the fitting and tubing. But if you have a compression fitting I'd use that.
Also that black tubing on the left side of your first picture looks like it is in a bind. You might try to either extend the tubing to get some strain relief where it goes into the fitting or rotate that fitting a bit so it is in line with the tubing.

I'll take a look at those threads and thank you for the tip on that other 1/4 tubing.  It for sure needs to be longer and since it as not leaking this fool wouldn't have thought of giving it a little relief. I should have also taken a better picture of the yellow with the push fittings right after I soaped it up as there was definitely a significant leak a the push fitting so I'll be swapping those out to compression.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Get ALL of those slip-on fittings replaced with DOT COMPRESSION FITTINGS ONLY.

I recently made some posts on the facebook group regarding these.

Also, don't forget about my videos showing how useful having the AMPROBE ULD-405 can be for the areas in which you can't reach, or don't want to soak with soapy water.

I have packing lists from McMaster-CARR that makes shopping really easy (hit me up if you want me to send them to your email).

Here is the link that'll take you directly to their fittings page:
https://www.mcmaster.com/fittings/connec...for-air-9/

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

You're no fool to miss that. Just need a bit more experience as to what causes leaks in the air system. Believe me it was all new to me and to others when we started out fixing and repairing our Newells.
I've found over the years that when fixing one thing to look around for any other obvious or not so obvious problems. As you gain more experience these things will stand out. Being proactive is a good thing in these complex beasts.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(01-04-2023, 06:24 AM)folivier Wrote:  You're no fool to miss that. Just need a bit more experience as to what causes leaks in the air system. Believe me it was all new to me and to others when we started out fixing and repairing our Newells.
I've found over the years that when fixing one thing to look around for any other obvious or not so obvious problems. As you gain more experience these things will stand out. Being proactive is a good thing in these complex beasts.

The good news is my rear holds air I hate to say forever, but let's say I haven't seen it drop.  Front is not bad on compressor running as it was running maybe once every 5-6 hours when I was out last fall, but my front does drop over time.  Haven't really timed to see how long it takes them to drop, but I'd love to get them to stay up like the rear does.  Goals!  I need to build myself on of those handy little leak test tools.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

5-6 hours is great! I am at 22min! darn bugger air leaks are so minute they're hard to spot. Hoping my transmission modulator replacement will add some time. I'm happy to grasp minutes! Anything!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Brad. To answer your first q , I would guess there was an air drier / moisture collector plumbed in there. It probably broke and was replaced with that union.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.