You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

3/8 Push Fittings

I hardly ever have opinions (yeah right), but I am not a fan of teflon tape for sealing threads at all. It tends to shred and travel in the air system. Which leads to malfunction of valves such as six pack, PPV’s, and door/pottie operation. I am a fan of sealant such as Rectorseal or equivalent.

Just my .02

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Craftsman friend who spent a career doing maintenance in a factory steered me to Loctite Quickstick 561 PST.  I have been impressed with it.  I've used lots of paste sealants, teflon etc. in pneumatics and plumbing but I'm going to have a stick of 561 with me in the Newell in the box of pneumatic fittings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Looks like a check valve in the middle.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

(Richard was probably waiting for me to post)
I prefer teflon tape for a couple reasons: if applied properly, meaning no tape across the face of the pipe or fitting, it can't allow any pieces to enter the piping. In order to apply it properly you need to wind it on the threads in the direction so that it tightens into the threads. If applied backwards then yes it can loosen while tightening the fitting.
The thing I don't like about teflon goop is that over years it can harden and become crumbly. I've pulled apart piping and have seen crumbly goop partially filling the pipe. Also if you try to tighten or loosen a fitting with dried goop it will leak. Tape will usually be ok since it's a solid.
So there you have it, both sides of the fence. Both solutions work so use what you're comfortable and familiar with.
BTW in almost 30 years I've never had a problem with tape if it was applied properly, this is from ounces of pressure to over 2000 psi.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Another newbie question here. Just how snug does one need to go on these brass compression fittings when tightening?

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brass to brass with teflon (either tape or goop)? snug by hand then 1/2 to 1 more turn. If brass to steel a bit more. I wish there was an adapter for a torque wrench to an open end. Maybe a crows foot on a torque wrench?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Is there seriously a better run business than McMaster-Carr? Ordered some fittings yesterday and they show up on my doorstep today. That is one well oiled machine they have over there. Now I just need to find just the right sized little divider carrier for my assortment. Right now my one big slide out tray has turned into a 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound sack situation. REALLY need to figure out how to organize what I've got in terms of spare parts, etc. Thinking about maybe one of those Milwaukee stackable packout setups so that I could at least label the outsides vs. digging for stuff. Organizing is not my strong suit.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

I brought home $400 of those Packouts and obsessed over layout in my garage for several days before taking them back. They just didn’t work for anyone of my tools and ended up warring a TON of space.

I’ve stuck with more modular bins that are so much more convenient, quick to get to, and easy to tuck in places like under the slide box in the e-bay.

At Home Depot, I found the neatest little divider bins, perfect for hardware, screws, and a small one for fittings.

P. S. Glad you liked McMaster-Carr. I, too, have been super impressed with their site, customer service, and fast delivery.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

ALL,

I've had a handful of requests, and rather than send you a bunch of packing lists, I build out a cart list in McMaster-Carr and then  reformatted it to a single concise list for all.

Here you go; PDF and Spreadsheet form (in case you wanna do some more things with the list.)

Attached Files
.pdf Air Fittings List, McMaster-Carr.pdf Size: 54.66 KB  Downloads: 23
.xlsx Air Fittings List, McMaster-Carr.xlsx Size: 7.17 KB  Downloads: 10

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I would suggest that you add fittings in the appropriate sizes like this https://www.mcmaster.com/push-to-connect...ial~brass/. I don’t like push to connect, but these jewels will splice a cut or nicked line in about two seconds and get you back in business until you can fix it correctly.

If you also add https://www.mcmaster.com/51915K36 in the same sizes, you can cap an air line in short fashion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )