You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fitting Leak Hydraulic Cooler (In front of Drive axle)

I'm sitting in Bay 7 at the Newell factory, waiting for some finishing fiberglass work. Decided to run the washer/dryer for a test. While looking underneath for water leaks I see about 2-3 gallons of ATF on the floor, leaking from where the techs found a leak and repaired it.

The factory is closed on Fridays (pretty much) so i called the emergency number and spoke to Jim, he is trying to find someone to come out and figure out what's wrong.

Seems pretty ironic to get stuck at the factory after a week of work!

Stay Tuned

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Quick update... "Goose" has arrived and is currently pulling the tires. Hopefully it's fixable without too much fuss.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Goose is very good. He will figure out what is what.

As long as you are stuck in the building for the weekend…it does not seem to be much of an emergency…but ATF everywhere is no fun for sure.

Watch out! Many people (me included) believe the ghost of L.K. Newell still lives in the building. I have heard doors slam, chains rattle and other unexplained noises late at night in the building.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

OK.. so the consensus is... when they removed the leaky fitting to replace it, all the ATF flowed out from the base of the fitting and the hose. Since the cooler core is inside a protective box and the threads are BELOW the level of the box all that fluid ended up in the void below the cooler itself.

We cleaned the entire assembly inside and out, ran the coach for about 45 minutes and no longer see any fluid.

Hopefully it's OK.

I am trying to leave today (been here a week already), but the weather may delay departure.

What's wrong with having a poltergeist!

Who you gonna call!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Bill you crack me up!

I've changed out leaking drain plugs in the past with the engine full of oil, just have the wife hold the shop vacuum on the oil fill while I unscrewed the plug and replaced it. Two fluids I can't stand is antifreeze and ATF, seems you just can't get it off you.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I think given a choice, I would much rather be broke down in the Newell shop than on the road somewhere. At least you can stay in the coach!