You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Roof AC Unit add on

This looks awesome. Glad you will get some relief. Is the unit Dometic?
Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

The unit is made by Airxcel (Coleman) and is model 49024A876. 15000 BTU I think. It has a heat pump function that will not get tested until much later in the fall! Smile

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/products/ro...mach15.php (I think this is the same one that I have)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Really nice job from the Newell gang and a nice post from you Bill. Thanks for the info, this may be in our future as I'm getting tired of roasting in the drivers seat. In the meantime, I would be interested in purchasing parts, for my units, if anyone else gets rid of their basement a/c's

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

Bill,
It really is amazing what Newell can do in a retrofit. That looks absolutely great! I'll bet no one can tell it is an add on.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

This is a picture that shows what is under the fancy oval and vinyl covered pieces.

The black duct to left is the cool air duct. The fan blows directly down into this air channel. The opening at the front allows the air to blow out onto the top of the oval (towards the front of the coach). If I want more air in the galley, I can drill holes in the edge of the channel and allow some air to escape. Initially, I want as much air as I can to blow to the front of the coach.

The white piece is the return filter assembly. The Newell techs made this by cutting the original plastic grill in half. They installed some sort of control board inside of the ductwork. The channel around the white part is the return air channel and has the gap that you see as well as another further back into the galley.

What is not obvious is that Newell went to a lot of trouble to insulate everything. There is a self-adhesive pink insulation on the ceiling and some of the black foam self insulating material on the channel. Again, probably overkill for this application, but more is well....better.

The wires are for the low voltage lights that were installed into the trim pieces.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Unfortunately you may have found out why Newell went away from the basement airs on quad slides as the ducting became almost impossible in the 3 & 4 slides. I've been in several Newells with the basement airs that were no slides & 2 slides and the basement airs worked very well.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531