You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Draw-Tite tow light controller

The left turn & brake light got very weak & then quit on the tow vehicle. After eliminating absolutely everything else, my Draw-Tite tow light controller has failed for the left turn and left brake signal. It has 12V going in, but only 6.5V coming out to the tow vehicle. The tail light & right turn & right brake light is still working. Has any one else had to replace one of these? Not sure what years Newell used these--or is it something that is only on my Newell? The box is located in the stainless steel compartment that is accessed with the engine cover up.

Draw-Tite does still makes a direct replacement, although cosmetically it looks a little different. Wiring is the same. New part # is 119130. This box converts a three light system (separate tail, brake & turn) to a two light system-(tail & combo brake & turn).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Hey Steve, what's the "foreign/american" switch for?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, I'll respond for Steve. For many years, foreign cars have separate lights for the turn signals, and American cars incorporated the turn signal in the brake lights. Now, most American cars have adopted the foreign system, including Newell. Typical trailer lights and tow vehicle lights usually incorporate the American system, which is simpler and requires fewer wires. Thus the need for a diode system to make the conversion.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester gave a good description. Let me just add. For practical use, if your tow vehicle or trailer has separate tail, brake & turn signal lights put the switch on "foreign". If your tow vehicle or trailer has the brake & turn signal combined, put the switch on "american".

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531