You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Going to see Mickey

Well....We are packed up with all of our toys, and will be heading down to Fort Wilderness for a week of roughing it. It will be the first time we get to utilize the Toy Hauler, because we are taking two of our sons and their families with us. I learned long ago... they do not make Motorhomes large enough for more than one family. That is where the Toy Hauler comes in. We loaded 2 Golf Carts, 2 bicycles, and an assortment of toys for a 2 year old, 6 year old and 10 year old. The Toy Hauler will sleep 6 people, with it's 2 Queen, and 2 single beds. It also has it's own kitchen, bath, and TV. It is going to be a challenge to park it in our space, because overall length of the two is 83 feet. But we have our patio chairs, fishing equipment, and maybe a whole lot of patience. All I can say is ...it is going to be a real trip..if you get my drift. Will keep you posted...

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

sounds really fun. sounds like you are taking everything but the kitchen sink....oh yea, you are taking two of them too.

post pictures.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

John,

I just got back from Fort Wilderness and have a few thoughts. First of all, its a great place and you are going to love it. I was in a spot just steps from a large fenced dog park. If I walked the other direction, I got to the lake where the boats would take you to the Magic Kingdom, etc. The lake is also a great place to look at the fireworks every night.

I am not sure what to say about your toy hauler. The spots are fairly spacious, but the landscaping prevents anything except the coach and a well parked car. (At least where I was parked) You may want to be sure to ask about the length of the lots.

Getting in and out was a challenge for me even though I have driven around 20,000 miles in my coach. Here are the issues:

1) There is a license check-point as you enter Fort Wilderness. It has a curved driveway around a little guard shack. Pay really close attention to the curbs. When I went through they had a barrel set out that I ended up rubbing against the coach even though I was up against the curb on the other side. The jerk rent-a-cop that was checking licenses was NOT helpful at all.

2) The registration is unlike any that I have seen. It is like a giant toll booth where you pull in and the cast member comes to the coach and does the registration through the window. The registration area is covered but my coach fit under it without trouble. When I was there, the registration lanes were open to the left and right of the registration building.

3) There are two ways to get into Fort Wilderness. The first is through the main Disney gate. That is the way that I went and going through the main gate is really, really tight. Stay in the far right lane, since the turn to Fort Wilderness is to the right just after the main gate. Alternatively, if you can get an accurate map you might want to come in the back way -- by the golf courses. That will allow you to miss the main gate.

4) When I came through central Florida the love-bugs were plentiful and the front of my coach was a mess. If you don't get them off immediately, they turn into a super-glue like mess.

5) The roads around the sites were built before the advent of really big coaches, so it will be a little tight getting to your spot. The registration guy has a book and can tell you how easy/hard it is to park in every spot. I would ask to for a spot near the lake but that also has easy parking. Take your time, and the coach WILL fit.

Finally, There is a lot to see and do at Disney! Have a great time!

cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Good suggestions Bill. We may be planning a trip this winter with our granddaughter. She'll need a break from her brand new sibling the middle of December.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Bill, for the heads up.. I will follow your advise, and I will post photos of our site once I get parked. I found an app on my iPhone that list all of the sites, and their lengths. The one I wanted was taken already, and it was 84 ft long. The one second choice is 79 ft long. I am hoping for the best...

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler