You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Genny shutting off while driving

Tom, when we had our Mountain Aire Diesel, Newmar said we could only run our 7.5 22 hours at a time and had to shut down for 2 hours a day min. They said no running 4 hours a day would be better for it. But that was Newmar, not Onan. I was really apprehensive to run mine for 5 days straight!

Dave and Marjorie, Gus & Angel (our Tonkinese cats)
Newell Coach #423 - 45'11" "Rare" First full Rear Bath and mid 1/2 bath produced. Full timers since 03/2013.
Find us on Facebook Our Life on the Road

Dave , I did some oilfield work where we ran generator basically 24/7.(not coach generator, genset on location to power our equipment) We did however shut it down +/-5 minutes a day to check oil level. Also change oil & filters every 250 +/- hrs. I try to do same on coach usually go out & check oil after or with morning coffee. It has never needed to have any added, but I feel better knowing for sure it was OK in the morning.

Newell has a history of building coaches for racing teams who run their generators non-stop for days at a time. Stopping them daily to check the oil is a good idea and changing the oil and filters every 150-250 hours (500 hours if you are running synthetic) is a good idea.

If my engine is on and it is over 60 degrees outside, you can bet that my generator is running. I don't dry camp often but when I do, my generator is running all of the generator-allowed hours.

As my wife says, 'I have an RV so I don't have to camp.'

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

my generator has over 8000 hours on it. still running good

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH