You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Genny shutting off while driving

Roy,

We don't know of a reason why you can't run the generator on the road. But you thought you could not. Is there a specific reason you thought that? Maybe there is something we don't know.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I always ran gas generator & house air in my old '82 Executive while driving. It was much more ecconomical than the mileage hit I would take trying to run dash air off the coach gas motor. (GM 454)

Roy, I ran the generator and both a/c's on the 74 with no problem.... Works fine, makes wife happy!

Jimmy

Thanks all,

I thought it would create a vacuum under the rig and lean it out too much, that and me being a novice. Thanks for the insight. Yes, the wife will be happy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

Rjbjfire, I think a vacuum under the coach would be desirable. On my coach, the air across the coils inters trough the sides of the coach and exhausts through the floor. A vacuum would ease the fans job and provide more air, I think.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester his 74' has a gasoline Kohler generator, it's air cooled w a separate 50 gal fuel tank. I modified it to a street side exhaust vs under the coach ex. Felt it was safer w the CO.. That's the way Newell did it in 74.

Jimmy

I have no problem running my gen. while going down the road. My dash air has been working fine until I left Ark. I ran my gen. the whole time while driving home. No problem.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

We often run our generator and A/C while going down the road......we have a water cooled Kohler 7.5 propane genset.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

For the past 16 months since we have been on the road, if our engine is running, the generator is running. 25,000 miles driving and still working great. Outside Temps from 105 to 35. Went to Daytona for the 500 for 5 days this Feb in the infield and turned the generator on Thursday morning 8am and turned it off Monday at 7pm. 5 days straight running. Never turned it off once. Called Newell of course and they said no problem, that's when they were made for. I do change the oil, filter, fuel filters and even change the coolant once a year. I also found that if I am driving in 90 deg or less, the temp stays around 180 but if the outside temp is over 100, the temp goes up to 190. I run everything when the engine is on, basement a/c's or heat, just like I am plugged in at a campground. I cant imagine doing any of that with a onan 7k generator.

Dave and Marjorie, Gus & Angel (our Tonkinese cats)
Newell Coach #423 - 45'11" "Rare" First full Rear Bath and mid 1/2 bath produced. Full timers since 03/2013.
Find us on Facebook Our Life on the Road

we use the genny alot when we drive as well. clarke does not have and all electric coach and his 7.5 runs all his things just fine.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH