You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello - Help Finding a Clue?

Hello all! I'm from... well that question isn't as easy to answer as it could be. I have a house in NM, my family is curently living in SoCal, and I'm in MD working, where I hope everybody will be soon. And I'm originally from OR. So, I'm from somewhere.

I do not have a Newell, but am considering one... or three? So here is the clue that I'm hoping you fine people with lots of experience can chime in on. I'm a mechanical engineer, so have just enough knowledge to be sure that I don't know anything...

There are three late 70's early 80's Newells available. I'm sure that many of you have seen the postings. I have an interest in at least one, but if a deal that makes sense could be made, thought all three could be interesting...

But that is all still a bit on the fantasy side until I figure out what I could be getting in to.

I have seen them in person, and all need tires and batteries. Not sure the tires would even make it on to a tow bed. There is a report that states one of them wasn't running, possibly due to batteries, but I've not heard any of the systems operate. What I was able to see is all over the map.

I could only get inside 2 of the coaches as there was a key issue with one of them. Outside, the units are all relatively complete, with some trim, paint, and odds and ends missing or broken. The odds and ends could be pretty expensive, or not, but that goes back to my knowledge gap. Several of the rail window seals are coming out, and many of the doors are hard to operate, or line up to get latched. I don't think I'm too worried about that though. Of the 2 I was able see inside, both had evidence of some level of past fire. One had a roof A/C unit that had clearly replaced one that had smoked. One has a pump mounted in the basement that had flamed... Those are a bit more disconcerting as the level of damage and replacement required to ensure safety could range from minor, to... well not minor.

Water damage and water damage repairs are evident in the overheads of the two units I could see. And the third has some loose or damaged components on the roof, so wouldn't expect much better.

The interiors are pretty much intact, but worn, and of course dated to the age of each coach. Overall the floors were solid, but did find a couple of spots that may indicate damage. The basements were also intact, but the structural elements appeared to have some delam and separation in areas. So back to likely water damage.

One of the coaches has significant cracking of paneling and cabinetry. Almost all the way around mid-ship, but spread out over about the middle 15 feet of teh coach. Cracks are several feet over 2 feet long in many cases and open in several places. Not knowing anything about buses, but looking at this from a purely structural perspective, I would think this could indicate possible strutural damage. But I suppose it could also be representative of a run that really flexed and twisted the coach. But again, I've no experience in which to base a reliable opinion.

The mechanicals all appear intact, no big holes in the blocks, big fluids failures, etc. But a simple visual inspection is far from sufficient to determine how much life is in any of the components. No compression checks, operating pressures, temperatures, ect. No idea the condition of the injectors or pumps, turbo bearings, etc. The amount of time they have not been operated is considerable, but unknown. Have no idea of the care of operation, cold (shock) starts/stops or other operator behavior that could crack pistons and wipe bearings. Not entirely sure that the air systems are all together. The brakes may be intact and what I see are disconnected service air components? But, would take time to sort for sure.

All of the coaches' suspensions have leaked down, but unsure if this is a realtively natural operating condition or if it indicates leakage of some type.

The price for all three is $35k, but I think that is too high?

So with much unknown, what do you all think? Is this too much? Or too much for a newbie? At what point is a coach not worth restoring?

OK, so what are your opinions?

The value is there depending of course on the remaining components and if it would be possible to take the best of the three and make one. Without seeing all three inside and out and doing some tests it's hard to know and obviously at that price they are considered scrap, so you must determine what failed components would need to be purchased. I suggest taking a zillion photos and maybe hire an engine tech to review for a fee. Tommy at Newell Coach in Miami, OK knows everything there is to know about pricing out interiors and renovations in general and Jerry can talk paint and body and Chuck can quote you parts prices. Start with posting some photos here and give us the coach numbers from the drivers side window plaque and the members here will chime in with valuable experience and a knowledge base that may surprise you. You are on the right track of the best Coach to buy, but sounds like a very time intensive project you have ahead.....Good Luck.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Is this a joke? :~) If not save your money and buy a coach that is already running. You'll still have time to tinker and upgrade. From what you described you could ez spent $many $$$ thousands of $$$ and still have what you have.. If you just need projects... offer to haul them away.. Water damage is troublesome.. if the windows all leak then and the plywood that is rivited to the aluminum structrual ribs has allowed the coach to twist..and the floor which is plywood is also probally rotten... also roof water leaks take out the lamated sheets of plywood under the headliner... Basement more plywood...But hey! projects are a good thing..and Newells are a great coach..Neglect is a bad thing for any coach... You would certinally be edcuated when you finished!!

Jimmy

Spend 90k and drive off in my coach....you can alway change stuff just for FUN!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Nope, not a joke.

Ozarkguy, you pretty much summed up many of my concerns. Supposedly, two of these are running, but even if they do start and attempt to drive, the tires are so bad that even a spin around the block is out of the question. It does look like there is plenty of evidence of plywood damage. At first glance, they all look like there is hope, but, as you look closer, I'm not sure how much. To be really solid, I think all of them would have to be completely torn down. I do like projects, but don't need a sinkhole, that is what boats are for! (A hole in the water to place your money...)

I'd probably have to have them shipped a considerable distance, so not sure that makes sense either. But still, there is a nostalgia in the whole idea, and I'm really interested in learning more, and haven't yet convinced myself that this could be the worst idea ever. So please keep the comments coming.

Thank you,

Jonathan

If you are qualified and have facilities to do the work yourself, then I would hire an expert to examine them, as recommended above. If you will have to hire all of the work done at something above $100/hr., run away as fast as you can.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I own a 1982 Newell, and have been in another 1982, plus a 1984, 1986, 1987, etc. I don't think any of the coaches you described are worth $35,000, let alone $25,000,or even $15,000.....maybe high 4 figures, maximum. There are too many unknowns, and it sounds like all three have suffered from neglect.....I'd run away from all three.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I have two coaches now a 96 #422 and a 2004 #689. I also have owned a 1989 40 ft. These three coach were and are owned over the last 11 years. If interested I would sale either coach: $375K for the 2004 or $125K for the 1996. Contact me for pictures and info.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

There was a 94' that just sold on eBay for $35k. He drove it across country to home. He has some things to repair or upgrade. But it's useable. Better first time challenge. You mentioned fire. Probably salvage title. Newell typically removes the S/N from their database of the coach had a fire (per Newell). I tackled one of the Classics that had driven from Tx to Az and I drove it home. Initial cost 5k, parts 25k and one yr labor. It had just had major engine work and a new set of brakes. I soon discovered that was just a start. Just saying lookout for something you can drive home.

Jimmy

I wonder how legitimate this guy is!
Sometimes Cheap is Expensive! I wouldn't sell our '82 for that amount and heck it is an '82!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch