You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

High engine & transmission temperatures

I think a regular rad and cooler cleaning is important. The cleaner it is the better coolong you will have. These pushers get clogged up easily. Just my 2 cents

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I just discovered the same issue when departing the florida keys after Memorial Day. Crawl and stop traffic for about 2-3 hours had my trans temp was north of 250 according to the old school steam gauge. I wondered many things that seem like you all...as to if its normal, if the oil could survive it, if my cooling fan is ok, adding an external cooler, etc.
Once traffic got going all seemed well so I will probably just watch it.
I've not done any long climbs / descents so I cannot comment about temps I've seen under those conditions...florida is pretty flat (lol)!

Jonathan Shetler
1999 Newell 510
Ft Lauderdale, FL

This may not be a practical solution, but if you find yourself in a traffic situation where you are worried about the tranny temp, you could stop and unplug the solenoid controlling the radiator fan. That puts the fan in high mode. The problem with stop and go is that the engine is not producing much heat but the tranny is, and the engine temp controls the fan.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard , do you have a photo of the solenoid and its location ?

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

btw, to unplug it is simple and right at the engine rear bay door. takes 10 seconds and can be plugged back in as quickly.

the last few days i drove over a number of passes up to 7400 feet and my engine temp never got over 206. like clockwork on a steep grade when the temp climbed to 205, the high speed on the rad fan kicks on and it takes it down in just a minute or two to 198 eventually shut the high speed off.

darlene asked me a few days ago what that noise was that comes and goes from the back and i asked her to tell me when she heard it and it was always when the engine temp hit 205 and the fan kicked into high speed.

i just now configured my vms pc to keep a log and i will watch max temps on tranny and engine.

on most steep climbs i can keep it on cruise control. it will downshift appropriately.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

When descending a high, long grade from a high mountain using the jake brake, the transmission temperature will rise as noted above. I asked a Detroit/Allison dealer about this and he said not to worry even if the temperature exceeds 250 degrees. He gave me a figure that would justify concern, but I forgot to write it down. My guess is that was around 300 degrees. I do not plan to ever let mine get above 250, the max I have seen is about 235, and I use synthetic oil. As to climbing steep grades, I agree that using cruise control allows the transmission to do its own thing and it does a better job shifting than I can. First coach that I have owned that I can trust to keep its RPMs up.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Another note related to stop and go traffic. If there is more stop than go, I put the transmission in neutral. Often I will turn on the switch to high idle until traffic moves. This happens often crossing at the US border. Just a thought.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

today we did nearly 4 hours in the mountains of northern ca. up and down. highest pass was 7200 feet, the donner pass.

my tranny temp never got over 207 and max engine temp was 206.

tom

Yesterday while coming down a grade more than 10 miles and using the Jake, my trans temp. got up to 246, but cooled down back to just over 200 once down the mountain.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

BTW I had my tyranny reprogrammed to be in 4th gear with the Jake on

Tom