You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

series 60 radiator leaking

Tom, I would think that if there were no other contaminates this would be OK and I have done this. I use an older clean T-Shirt and Filter it over a clean bucket, use a white shirt so you can get a good look at whatever is being filtered and can make a secondary decision.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

tom,
Make sure you change out the antifreeze filter and I would strain your existing coolant and save purchasing 14 gallons. I also use DD super cool.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

i went and picked up a coolant filter this morning.

i will see how the coolant looks and decide then.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
Have you changed the coolant since you owned it? If not I believe the recommendation is 4 yrs.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

You can test it with a ph strip.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve, what should the ph strip read?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Ok before you install a new coolant filter with SCA additives. What coolant are you using. Are you using the old school, normally green, with SCAs. OR are you using the new school. Red or pink with OAT additives? If using the oat coolant do not use a filter with SCA additives. You use a plain filter with the red or pink coolant. All coolant is ethylene glycol based. It does not go bad. It does lose its additive package which protects the wet liners a d it does get grit in it which murders your water pump. Both the green and the pink styles have readily a amiable chemical additives to restore it to new. The green can be tested with the strips but the pink is not so easy

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a ph tester similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instrume...473&sr=1-2

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Just to clarify: For those using the Detroit Diesel Power Cool engine coolant, it is not the OAT type coolant. Power Cool is "pre-charged with SCA's" as noted on the container. Power cool is pink. The Power Cool concentrate is DD part #23512138. The DD test strips are a three way test strip that tests the % of Ethylene Glycol, an additive indicator and a Nitrite ppm test. DD part # for the test strips is 23522774.

Here is the DD documentation:
http://brandon314.files.wordpress.com/20...ctions.pdf

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

ok, i thought this whole coolant thing was simple.

the coolant i have in it now is recycled coolant that has the sca in it already. color is irrevalent because they used purple and now it is yellowish. so no way to know what type it is. it is what my bus guy uses in ALL his prevosts except for those under warranty and he uses the powercool.

i will assume it is not the OAT stuff and just use some ethelyne glycol with the sca in it already.

and NOT use the precharged filter i got.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH