You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

series 60 radiator leaking

hi all,

i had been adding coolant since spearfish. hoping it was just filling up the tank, but not to be.

i have added about 3 quarts since we left there and have driven about 1400 miles.

this morning all of us were ready to leave for the columbia ice fields and we pulled out of the rv park and stopped on the highway to hook up the cars. i noticed a puddle under the coach engine area.

i pulled up the engine bay door and the side radiator door and there was coolant dripping down the drivers front side of the radiator where the mounting bolts are. on the inside of the radiator i saw no leakage when looking through the fan blades, but there was some coolant puddled on the stainless under the middle of the fan.

i would guess all in all it was about 1/4 cup. it was dripping down on the exhaust and making a little puff of white smoke.

i had filled the overflow tank to the fill when cold mark at the top.

so....not to take any risk i said farwell to the hockwalds and oliviers and they headed up to the ice fields and darlene, missy and i drove 200 miles south to lethbridge where her brother lives. he is very mechanical and we will figure it out.

here is the strange part. on the 200 mile trip home, no leaks and the overflow tank was actually a little higher on the site tube than when we left.

no sign of leakage. but i know it has been using coolant and for sure there was quite a bit this morning.

so we will let it cool down and look at it in the morning.

a few questions for you all,

1. for those of you who have taken out the charge air cooler and radiator, can you give some hints and instructions?

2. does anyone remember the name of the place that makes the radiator for newell?

3. for those of you who are in lethbridge, come on over for dinner.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Atlas Radiator and I had the same problem exactly .. It is your side seal gaskets and Newell replaced mine and then 200 miles from Newell both sides went so I replaced the radiator. Not cheap and very heavy.. Requires a forklift and is a full days work. If you get a radiator shop to do it then beware as Newells outside shop did the fix that failed and then Newell did the replacement and it has been perfect since. Need other info ?? Let me know Tom and best of luck with it.. DON'T use any stop leak as it will not work and will stop up the core fast.

BTW the charge cooler did NOT need to be removed when changing the radiator out.....

Only the fan and motor came out with the radiator , of course

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

How did they removed the radiator without removing the CAC? I have had my CAC out 3 times. I did take the fan housing out and the fan blades off and left the hydraulic motor and frame push out of the way. I had one person to help me remove and install the CAC and RAD. We did with man power only.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

i went and borrowed a pressure checker and will check it in the morning. here i have my brotherinlaw who can help me and a very experienced radiator shop. i guess i dont understand why they cant be repaired.

tom

The CAC is bolted on to the bus as well as the radiator. As I recall they strapped back the motor too, but removed the blade assembly and brackets. They used a forklift instead of a second guy I guess. Don't know why it was strongly suggested to replace except that was JC's advise after the radiator shop they use did a replacement job on the side gaskets that didn't hold. They look like a piece of cork material even though it wasn't cork and I had both sides leaking and re-coring may have led to another failure and with the radiator age it was just the decision made at the time. I do know that when I replaced the filter the liquid that came out was like beach sand you pick up when in the water and it even poured from the filter fitting for a few moments. That indicated breakdown and obstruction to me and did not want to trust the Joplin radiator shop that couldn't diagnose this to begin with....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

ok, i talked to larry at atlas radiator. if i wanted a new radiator it is many weeks lead time plus shipping.

i talked to jim johnson at newell and he gave me some guidance on taking it out. also, he says usually he just puts in rebuilt radiators. i talked to chuck in parts and he also said usually they have rebuilt ones in stock, but dont have any now and he thought 8-12 weeks.

for some reason there is a seal between the tanks that leaks.

so, i will pressurize it up to 20psi (what larry at atlas said was the max) and see what happens.

i suspect i will be taking it out. if i do, i will have both the radiator and cac checked out.

the radiator guy here was very confident he could take care of me.

we will see.....always fun

tom

Tom My first problem on the 96 was the CAC leaking which I remove and took to a shop and they fix by welding the existing unit $175. That lasted about a year. Next time CAC started leaking in Denver and Stewart Stevenson remove and install a new core $3000. That lasted 5 year. Last year CAC leaked and I removed and install New ATlas CAC $1500?. Three months later the RAD starts to leak and I remove and install new ATlas RAD $1600. I am in CO traveling with the 04 so I do not have the exact prices because they are in the 96. If the RAD or CAC goes out on my 04 I will change both at the same time and be done with it. The labor would be the same for changing both and then you would be done. My CAC has been remove 4 time from the 96 coach and it never got easier. This will never happen with the 04 because if one goes bad I will change both at the same time. This is my experience and my luck.

thanks ron,

the quote from atlas was right at $3k for both cac and radiator plus shipping.

this morning i put the pressure tester on and pumped it up to 20psi. nary a drop of leak anywhere. inside or out or on the sides.

there are 4 rows of bolts and nuts holding the end tanks on. only one i could get at easy was the ones on the front drivers side so i tightened all of them.

i still have the pressure tester on and will see how it looks in an hour or so.

i am not going to yank it out if i find lnothing in an hour or so. i will wait till i get home and get a new set to put in at my leisure.

a little later i will see if i can get at the other bolts and nuts and tighten all of them. btw, they were not real tight on the ones i did. if i was you guys i would check yours. i will from now on.

ever an adventure

tom

Thanks for the ongoing documentary. Can you post pics when you get a chance? I am not sure what the CAC is or where the bolts you are talking about are.

Thanks!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

These are some pictures of the 96.