You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

non egr series 60 radiator cap rated pressure

hi all,

i want to replace the radiator cap. the one that was on there is 16lbs.

i have the 1996 detroit diesel repair manual and it says use a min of 9lbs, but lists no max.

i talked to newell yesterday and the tech thought 14lbs.

how do i really find out what to use?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Mine came with a 16 lbs cap. DD manual says min of 9 lbs, Atlas says 20 lbs max, so anywhere 13 lbs to 16 lbs seems right to me.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

16lbs according to Detroit D when I serviced in April. I replaced mine with a Napa 16

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

thanks larry,

i just got back from buying a 16lb napa

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

At the beginning of May after a 200 mile trip, I noticed coolant leaking from the radiator. Later that month, I replaced the exhaust piping (see perforated tube pic) from the turbo to the silencer and was able to gain access to the radiator tanks. They are bolted tanks (core was replaced in 2009) and they were fairly loose as was a hose clamp, all were tightened but in between the first of May and the end, I reduced the cap pressure to 7LB which stopped the leaks. I have since increased the cap pressure to 12LB because I believe 16LB exerts too much stress on old seals. It has caused the operating temperature to increase but not beyond limits. West coast temperatures may make it exceed limits, however.

Gordon
[attachment=1390]

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567