You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What kind of glue?

I have a couple of formica ceiling panels hanging in the bedroom area. Can anyone recommend the appropriate glue to secure the panels? Is Gorilla Glue the answer or something else??

Coach 554
Tom & Patti
Rancho Santa Fe, California

the ones in my coach are lexan with a patterned paper glued to the back of the lexan. newell buys the lexan sheets with the patterned paper already attached to it and then they cut the pieces and glue them up. the problem in mine is the paper separates from the lexan and in most cases the paper stayed glued and the lexan falls down. whern i had a big one fall and break in the hallway, i replaced it with matching laminate to my bed. and then contact cemented them up.

i have glued some of the old ones back up, but as i have tried different clear silicones, you can still see where it is glued.

my two cents worth....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Gorilla Glue is most likely not the right answer for this application. This is a Urethane Adhesive that Foams up as it Cures. This is how it fills the gaps and does such a wonderful job...just get a small bottle and put a little in an area to give it a try.
I would suggest a Polyurethane Adhesive like Silkaflex or 3M 4200 (5200 would also work although does not have the elasticity needed to remove later).

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I've re-glued formica in my coach using contact glue. That was what was probably originally used so why not use it again?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I would use this, it comes in Spray or by the Qt:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Hi-Strength-Spr...r+laminate

Heat & Moisture ....

Jimmy

I have a skylite and have a custom cover made for it. The fabricator suggested using some Velcro. I did that once, twice, and then tried liquid nails. Nothing would adhere. So I used a 2 part epoxy to adhere the Velcro- that stuff works- got it at Homey/Lowes

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Thanks guys... good suggestions!

Coach 554
Tom & Patti
Rancho Santa Fe, California