You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Black is Black

Reminds me of the RV movie....with Robin Williams

"Shower of sadness!"

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The caulking has cured, and it is holding water, so we'll put the fresh water tank back in tomorrow if everything is dry. I've had the electric heater on since 11 am with the bay doors closed and it's looking good. This problem turned out to be less of a problem than I first thought it would be. We are feeling pretty lucky it was as easy as it turned out.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

How far were your neighbors?
After our situation on the interstate in Florida, when in a park I. Keep valve OPEN and tank drained. We always run lots of water (washing cloths and dish washing ) so I'm not concerned about blockage. I'm assuming you had sewer dump at your site.

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

(07-31-2013, 10:57 AM)Express1 Wrote:  How far were your neighbors?
After our situation on the interstate in Florida, when in a park I. Keep valve OPEN and tank drained. We always run lots of water (washing cloths and dish washing ) so I'm not concerned about blockage. I'm assuming you had sewer dump at your site.

Yep, I was hooked up to the sewer at the time. I always leave the gray tank valve open when hooked up....we use the washer a lot, and run lots of water through too, but I don't have your issue with one tank.

It's all buttoned back up now......no leaks, and plug is holding.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Clarke,
Hope all is well with your repairs! If not consider replacing the Black and Gray Tanks with One Tank and a Plumbing Change similar to ours. I hope that you do not need to but in the case that you do please just ask and I will send pictures and any other info you require.
PS Our was converted in this manner by Newell prior to our ownership. Really no need for both tanks when you consider the Plumbing that is the same as the newer rigs.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Actually, Steve, I like having two tanks. Getting rid of the gray water is much easier when dry camping. We can go two weeks on the black tank. I've got 120 gallons for gray, and 40 for black. Just gives me more flexibility for our style of travel. Think I'll stay with what got me here. All is fixed, and buttoned up again. Easy fix.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

I have just stayed in a park with 50 amp and water but no sewer. I have one tank and left the gray open and stayed a month. We used the washing machine and dishwasher and had no problem with holding 160 gals black in the tank. The one tank worked great for me.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Ron, did they let you run the grey on the ground? Or did you do it at night?
Not criticizing just curious.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(07-31-2013, 08:39 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Actually, Steve, I like having two tanks. Getting rid of the gray water is much easier when dry camping. We can go two weeks on the black tank. I've got 120 gallons for gray, and 40 for black. Just gives me more flexibility for our style of travel. Think I'll stay with what got me here. All is fixed, and buttoned up again. Easy fix.

Not sure if you understand the Single Black/Gray Water Tank and Plumbing. The Gray Water can still be selected to go overboard without going into the Holding Tank. This makes the Black water Capacity much much larger as Ron has stated, otherwise you still have the same overall Capacity.
There is a reason that they have abandoned the previous thinking, just trying to be helpful.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Steve, I do understand the plumbing configuration on the single tank system.....Todd has that system on his '84, and I became intimately familiar with it the five days I was in Sioux Falls helping him get his coach ready for travel. If you are hooked up to a sewer the option to dump the gray directly into the sewer, bypassing the tank, is great, but we do a lot of dry camping, and once the gray water is in the single tank that's were it must stay until hooked up to a sewer line again....I can't just water someone's lawn, or run a hose into the forest with my gray/black water like I do now with the gray only. I believe very strongly that having two separate tanks gives me, personally, much more flexibility in the type of travel style we prefer, and utilize much of the time. We don't have to conserve on how much gray water we generate because we know we can get rid of it pretty easily.

If your style is to be connected to a sewer most, if not all the time then the single tank is the way to go. That's not my style.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB