You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A/C tripping breaker

All of the suggestions about checking for loose connections are good. The next place thing to suspect is a bad start cap for either the compressor or fan motor.

If the compressor shows locked rotor amps, then you will need a new compressor. But eliminate all other possibilities first.

After connections I would throw start caps at it next

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

So my approach if I have I have a running twin is to find the wires to both compressor and fan motor. Record their amperage on both start and run conditions. Nowmdomthe same for the sick one. You have to turning the on and off since you can't be at the ac panel and the thermostat.

I am assuming you have the scs units. The wiring panel was on the righ side of the unit IIRC.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The biggest problem that I have is I'm over 2 hours from the nearest town that has any parts, no cell service and very limited internet, so I'm kind of stuck in a rut until we can move closer to civilization.
I'll try and check the amperages in the next couple days and go from there.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

If I turn on #2 compressor while watching main ammeter the breaker trips immediately and ammeter only shows a couple amps. Not a big jump like I'd expect if compressor were locked up. Maybe a shorted wire?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i dont know how good those meters are for looking at current spikes. ya gotta put the clamp on meter on the wires.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Richard is saying something similar to what I was trying to state (and Michael clarified it). It could be the Capacitor for the Fan Motor and not sure about the Compressor since you have much different units than we do. There could also be a Start Contact in one of both, again not sure.
You may be able to rob a good part off of another unit in order to troubleshoot this even though I am not a fan it would help to isolate the problem....remember to return the part to the original unit otherwise you could create other problems inadvertently without knowing.
Good luck!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I should have a clamp-on meter by Tuesday. Then I'll know more.
Tom, do you have the specs on the caps you replaced?
I may order some and get them coming.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Got my clamp-on ammeter and just got some readings.
Compressor #1 running pulls 11.1 amps
Condensor fan on low (red wire) running: 2.3 amps (didn't watch for startup amps since it is running ok), can't check amps on HI since breaker trips
Compressor #2 starting (purple wire): 38.3 amps and breaker trips

So since the locked rotor amps are 59 and it pulls 38 amps before breaker trips could it be the capacitor?
Hope so since I have one that should be here tomorrow and I'll change that then check it again.
What do yall think?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

i think it is unlikely the capacitor is the issue. but it is a cheap try.

lets hope it works

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Agree with Tom. Try start cap first

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad