You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Finding Broken Cabinet Hinge Replacements

The European style hinges used in all of the overhead cabinets
are slowly being breaking in my 1988 Newell. The last one broke on a large cabinet in the bathroom when I hit a chuck hole on the interstate.

After using up all the hinges purchased by previous owner from
Newell (purchased in 2005). I searched to find replacements.
See photos for example of broken hinges. They break where
the screw passes through the casting.

I bought enough bases to fix all my broken hinges and also
some extra hinges.

The hinges consisted of what appears to be a 100 degree BLUM MODUL hinge and a BLUM face mounting plate. A screw holds
the hinge and the base together.

(The face mounting plate has a set of small ears that protrude
over the edge of the cabinet).
Number on mounting plate casting was
old 198 860-1 (and 22 inside a circle)
new 198 660-01.22
I found them at www.HardwareSource.Com (San Diego CA)

100 degree BLUM MODUL hinge 652001 $1.99 each
BLUM face frame mounting plate 652008 $1.97 each
#7 screw for European and BLUM H 268009 1.99 for 50 screws

There was a note on the web site stating that many carpenters
used #6 screws on the hinges instead of #7 screws and this
would cause them to eventually break.

1988 Newell 8V92 #179
40ft Tag Axel, rear window
2005 Jeep Liberty toad

Awesome info. Thanks Ron

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Ron and Susan,

I don't own a Newell or even any RV. But, I do own cabinets w/ the same hinges that you have. And, I must thank you greatly for your post.

I was going crazy trying to find replacement hinges and bases. They all look the same, and was sure that I'd order the wrong part. Your post, which included the part number on the hinge, and exactly which parts to order from the website was fantastic. I even had the wrong screw size and ordered the correct replacements.

Just wanted you to know that someone greatly appreciates your willingness and effort to share your knowledge, even w/o a direct benefit to you. It saved me a lot of time and hassle.

Wishing you many happy miles in your RV.

Thanks,

Edward Jacobs

How about an update to an old thread.I got pretty excited after Ron and Susan's post from 2013. However, my broken, overhead door hinge looks different from the picture Ron  posted on the thread. My hinge comes from the same manufacturer, but from the looks of it, this particular hinge is a 170. So searched and searched to only find out the mounting frame face plate has been discontinued and the only alternative is a similar replacement hinge and face plate.

I ordered the following parts from www.hardwaresource.com. Total cost was 6.22. I'll post an update after I get it installed.

[Image: 652300-652304-bundle_150x150.jpg]
Blum 170 Degree Hinge for Face Frame Overlay Cabinets - Bundle
SKU: 268000 652360 652305 701170
Hinge: 1 x Blum 170 Degree Free Swinging Hinge, Straight ArmMounting Plate: 1 x 3mm Blum Clip Top Face Frame Mounting PlateScrews for Hinge: 2 x European Hinge Screw, #6 x 5/8" - 1 EachScrews for Mounting Plate: 2 x European Hinge Screw, #7 x 5/8" - 1 Each

Tony and Cindy Frazier
1992, #300   Wink
2023 Ford Broncos Bad lands Toad
Columbia, SC