You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

water softeners

can you please share your thoughts and experiences with the water softeners that you use in your coach?

darlene would like one and there are tons of them out there.

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have been using one from watersticks.com. for about 3 years. Easy to regenerate, hookup, and store. My water compartment doesn't have room to mount one permanently without re-plumbing a lot of stuff. So I just lay it on the ground.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

do you have the mini or the portable?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

the portable.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I used to use a portable unit that I bought through Camping World (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/ite...ioner/6848) that required rock salt be added about once a week. That was a PAIN! The unit worked but it was a fair amount of work to lug home big bags of rock salt and stuff the salt crystals down the fairly small opening in the top of the water softener.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,
Are you using a different one that isn't a PAIN?

I have been wanting to get a Water Softener as well. My problem is the storage but when I get into the Water Bay I have a few ideas that may help with that.
I am looking at the Micro 300 XL from Interstate Water Systems in Yuma, AZ. I already have one of their Reverse Osmosis Systems and have been very happy with it so far;

http://shop.interstatewater.com/Water-So...qscsfapp03

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

No Steve, my solution was to just discontinue use of the water softener (and move back into a sticks and bricks house).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Tom

I bought one a couple of years ago off of EBay. It cost a couple hundred dollars. Mine is about 30"high and 7" dia. I run my water through a filter to take any dirt out and then through the softener and fill my tank. I always use water from my tank. My softener is recharged using 1 -2 lbs of table salt. I do mine once a year when I put the bus away for the winter, I think my softener is good for 1600 gallons between recharges.
IMHO I think a softener is the best thing you can do for the water, and the coach. It protects sporan valves, and plumbing fixtures. The water I have at home is excellent but when on the road the water can be very hard. money well spent.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Water-S...1e751d8ef7

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

We are also looking at reverse osmosis water systems and would welcome any suggestions

The RO systems work quite well, but they do need more maintenance. Expect a filter change about once every 6 mo or so. Also ensure there's only plastic piping after the RO system. We've had an RO system for about the last 12 years in both houses and they work very well, other than some routine maintenance. It does get the water "super clean". Both OD our systems have come from Watts Premier and do well. Every on a low pressure system, they can work well.

06 M450LXi 3 slide