You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Losing water when wash machine is operating

When we use our washer, we lose much more water than an average wash cycle. As an example, we can easily lose a half of tank of pure water during any given wash cycle. We have no noticeable leaks. Is there a shut-off valve that regulates the amount of water running into the washing machine from the fresh water tank and then on to the holding tank? Can water move from the pure tank through the wash machine to the holding tank vis a vis a faulty shut-off value during a wash cycle?

If so, where would the valve be located and can the valve remain slightly open while the washer is operating??

Any other thoughts???

Coach 554
Tom & Patti
Rancho Santa Fe, California

We only wash clothes when hooked up to city water at an rv park. I have noticed that the black tank fills pretty quickly if the gray water by-pass is closed.

Washing machine uses A LOT OF WATER. I don't think you have a problem. Our Splendide in the Country Coach used a lot less water. If concerned take CCJohnson's advice and hook up & use city water and set your dump valves to drop the gray as you wash. I don't do this because I like to run the soapy water through my black tank to help clean it out.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, doesn't the water still drop into the black tank?(only tank) Why not just leave main valve open?

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

The problem with leaving the main valve open is that over time, solid matter builds up in the tank. The system needs a substantial amount of water to suspend & carry solid matter out when dumping. You need the water from each flush for that to make up enough liquid volume to carry the solids away when dumping. Otherwise the liquid runs off & a "pyramid of poop" starts to grow.

Matt,
No. You can bypass the holding tank and allow just gray water to escape through your sewer hose. Mr Johnson brings up a good point & that is why I run the water through the holding tank. But if you were going to do a lot of washing you could utilize the tank bypass valve.

***this is how my coach works....................remember not all Newells are the same, but I would guess that Tom & Patti's coach has this capability.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve we do the same. The washer does a great job of flushing the tank. In fact I flushed my tank for the first time last week since at the last campground I had to use the sewer solution on the curbside dump and when I unhooked it I found a dump valve seal. The curbside dump valve is holding with no leaks so no telling how long it's been in the tank.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337