You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Refrigerator not working

Any possible fixes on Amana two door all electric. Ours quit working while in storage(still hooked up to power).

Is it not cooling or no power at all to it?
Tom can give you the low down on trying to fix his and installing a new fridge.
What year is your coach?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(09-03-2013, 05:58 PM)folivier Wrote:  Is it not cooling or no power at all to it?
Tom can give you the low down on trying to fix his and installing a new fridge.
What year is your coach?

Hope it's fixable because they are expensive to replace....

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

hi, there is some about it on the thread i wrote about amana fridge in this section. but, first be sure the breaker for the fridge isnt off.

the 3 things that i can be are this.

1. starting relay. it is common for them to burn up.
2. starter capacitor. they hardly ever go bad on these things.
3. compressor

if you can hear the compressor trying to start but it buzzes, then stops, then tries it all over again in less than a minute and it keeps repeating, then it could be the relay, but is likely the compressor.

you can replace the starting capacitor from the front without taking the fridge out. but, you have to take the fridge out to do anything else. to do that, you HAVE to build a platform as wide as the fridge and as deep as the fridge at the same height of the bottom of the fridge. you set it in front and after loosening the wheels and taking off any angle mounts that hold it in, then you can slide the fridge out onto the platform and disconnect the power and icemaker. then you have to slide the platform with the fridge on it out into the open. we slid it on cardboard. and a rug.

jim ellis made my platform and put it togeher with screws, so i just took it apart and put it in the bay. in case i ever have to do it again.

i had to rewire the fridge to get the relay to fit since it was a generic replacment kit. if you are not comfortable doing that you really should get a repair guy there. once the fridge is out in the open, he can troubleshoot it quite quickly.

i had made my mind i wouldnt spend much money on a 11 year old fridge. i had already put an icemaker in it and didnt want to spend more than the 50 bucks the relays and capacitor kit was.

but....the only fridge i could find in western canada where i was that fit in there was 3000 bucks. so it is a pricey fridge.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH