You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
driving experience from our 5k mile trip - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: General and or Other Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: General (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: driving experience from our 5k mile trip (/showthread.php?tid=1019)

driving experience from our 5k mile trip - encantotom - 09-27-2013

this is really only the second time i have used our coach in the less than two years we have owned it. in the summer of 12 we did a 4k mile marathon in 3 weeks and i was just getting used to it.

this trip i took more time to learn and experiments.

i have always been a worry wart about engine operating temps, pressures etc. so i monitor them closely.

this trip we went over a number of mountain passes. previously i always took it off of cruise and drove it my self.

this time on the way home i would keep it in cruise control and let the computer smart engine and tranny regulate itself.

if i was going up a ~6-7% grade for a few miles or more, and if i was starting at ~65mph, the cruise would downshift as needed, usually from 6th to 5th to 4th and hold steady at low 50's mph. the boost would stay about 27-28psi and the engine temp would climb to 205, then the high speed of the hydraulic fan would kick on and still while climbing the temps would quickly go down to 199 or so.

it was clear the 2 speed fan would come on at 205 every time. then it would just cool right down.

a few other observations.

1. it shifts into 6th gear at 62-63mph, so driving a little below that has you driving in 5th gear. (unless you get into 6th and then slow down and it will stay into the 50's.) but it seems like the best cruising perforance is low 60's.

2. for me anyway OBEY the mph signs on curves. at that or a little less is the most comfortable for me on mountain curves. i tend to go under the posted curve mph.

3. on strong cross winds on a highway, 55klbs keeps you on the road, but it is still like a big heavy sailboat and it can move you around some. in driving wed from salt lake city to st george, it was extremely strong cross winds the entire way. it pushed us around, but nothing like the wild bull ride some of the smaller rv's was having as we went by them.

4. it is very comfortable to drive long distances.

5. the best driving song to listen to is for sure "Tom Sawyer" by Rush.

6. use a vmspc. the dash gauges are less than accurate

7. while inside sitting still, it is REALLY stable. doesnt move around much.

8. air toilets are really cool. (yea a little strange)

9. darlene doesnt like to clean bugs off the windshield.

10. i really love the aquahot. nice even heating when it is cool and nice hot water.

11. you meet the nicest people. newell owners and not.

i am sure there are more but these come to mind this morning.

tom

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - Chester Stone - 09-27-2013

Tom, this summer my coach performed exactly as you describe and I agree with all of your points except I do not have a Darlene to clean my windshield. When climbing mountains, the cruise control does a much better job than I can. As to temperatures, on the mountains in southern Oregon and norther California, the transmission temperature reached 235 degrees going up and down a several long hills, using the Jake. Research suggest the maximum temperature is 250, so I am not so concerned. However, I wonder if my transmission cooling radiator needs to be cleaned since the transmission frequently goes to 220. I am thinking about setting my vmspc alarm to 230. Any comments?
I have bad knees, and I found that the air springs in the drivers seat keeps my knees working and much more comfortable that a regular seat. I need to do more calculating, but it appears that I averaged 7MPG over the summer pulling a heavy Honda Odyssey, and get 8MPG on a flat highway. I drove between 62 and 65 MPH most of the time. Love this coach.

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - ashley - 09-27-2013

Ditto

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - encantotom - 09-27-2013

btw, darlene has never done the windshield. i was giving her a hard time that the couple next to us this morning and he was sitting in the drivers seat while she unhooked the sewer, power and water. i asked why i was outside doing that and she was in side. ...ha

my tranny temps on the hills this trip ranged from 190-210.

i got about 7mpg on this trip. pulling the honda.

i do love the airseat as well. it still has a few glitches, but it is working much better now thanks to steve and richard.

tom

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - folivier - 10-01-2013

Leaving Salt Lake this morning, temps about 60 F. I-80 heading east had about a 6% grade for about 4 or 5 miles. I had the cruise set on 62mph and just let the computer drive. Had about the same experiences as Tom. Temp would get up to 205 then drop some. At one point I was down to 3rd gear and going 37mph and the temp stayed around 207. The rest of the trip had quite a few more hard grades but the temp never got over 207 all day.
The tranny temp runs around 215-223.

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - Yachts - 10-02-2013

Forrest. What's your route to head home. .

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - folivier - 10-02-2013

Stopping in Denver for a few days. Then over to the factory for some work. I may have to stop in Bentonville for an appt. Then either to east of Dallas to visit friends if they're home. Then Monroe to visit Steve Magown. Then Paincourtville, LA for the winter. No set route still just meandering.

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - Ozarkguy - 10-02-2013

Forrest when you get in our neck of the woods. Give us a Holler!!

RE: driving experience from our 5k mile trip - folivier - 10-02-2013

Will do Jimmy, we plan to arrive in Miami on Oct. 12th for our appt. on the 14th.