You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suspension/Tires/Wheels (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=1514)

Pages: 1 2

Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Retro - 05-17-2014

I decided to pull my front wheels and replace my bearings and seals. They were the old grease style caps and seal, I didnt realize how simple and cheap this upgrade was. IMHO a must do for these old classics.
Here are the part #s I used
Outer bearing set set 406 $18.95ea
Inner bearing set set 412 $43.50ea
Stemco seal 3828036 $31.95ea
Hub cap 3434024 $35.60ea

Total $260.00

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Fulltiming - 05-17-2014

The way you are going you will have a new coach before long!!

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - rheavn - 05-17-2014

Nice upgrade!

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - encantotom - 05-17-2014

you need to live in wittmann.

move here now

tom

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Mxfarm - 05-17-2014

Anyone know what the thinking was for using a packed bearing in this application? I've got to go down this same road with ours

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Retro - 05-18-2014

Marc, is your 87 still grease? I thought they would have had oil by then?
I changed all my outer wheel studs and nuts also. CHEAP!!
E5977L nut, outer dual .95
E5977R nut, outer dual .95
E5978L cap nut 3.50
E5978R cap nut 3.50
Total $108.00 CDN
In stock and very common
IMHO another must do upgrade
A tip for torquing left hand nuts, take the two screws out of the head of the torque wrench and flip the driver around (the part the socket goes on) worked like a charm.
I also marked all the nuts with a paint pen so I can visually see if they move at all.

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - whatsnewell - 05-18-2014

Keith, you are the man! Thank you for sharing. I'm very interested in your upgrades for my '82.

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Mxfarm - 05-18-2014

Yep, still grease - was very surprised. Pulled the hub cap off to check the oil right after we purchased - just never thought about grease w/the axle weights the Newell has.

Nothing wrong with grease as long as the guy packing them is proficiant. Big Grin But oil is considerably easier & more idiot proof for the mechanic IMHO. However if the rear seal goes bad with oil and you don't catch it - it would be a expensive repair. W/grease that seal is really only a dust seal to keep dirt out.

BTW, I'll be changing to oil Big Grin But it's a bit down the list.

Retro - just looked @ your second pic - wedge brakes?

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - 77newell - 05-18-2014

FWIW - My 93 has the same bearing cover as Marc's so I suspect mine are greased bearings as well.

RE: Greased wheel bearings to oil bath upgrade - Retro - 05-18-2014

Yes Marc, they are wedge brakes, I was thinking of upgrading to s-cam but these are like new and work very well. The military uses them. If I ever need parts they will be gone but should be good for a few years im thinking.
I can't believe the newer coaches have grease still!!
In my opinion oil is much better, all big rigs on the road nowadays use oil and the stemco seals are very good and seldom leak.