You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Why no EGT gauge? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Engine and Transmission Monitoring Systems (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Why no EGT gauge? (/showthread.php?tid=1706)

Pages: 1 2

Why no EGT gauge? - Lance - 07-27-2014

I was speaking with a very knowledgeable fellow about his rig and he works on his engine himself. He looked at my Newell and was very impressed on the build, however he wondered why there is no Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge. He says it is one of the most important things to monitor when pushing up hills as high temps mean possible damage to the engine.
Anyone have any thoughts or ways to add this feature?

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - encantotom - 07-27-2014

lance, i added one on my f350 and on the 90 that bill has now. it wasnt hard but it was ALOT of work. the biggest pain was getting another pair of wires up to the dash from the turbo. then all you have to do is find a place to mount the gauge and to weld a collar on the turbo pipe and drill a hole (carful not to get shavings in the turbo....and screw in and mount the sender.

tom

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - Chester Stone - 07-27-2014

I think it is more important to know the temperature of the air entering the engine from the turbo. This is a much faster indication of too much heat than the water or oil temperature. Unfortunately, my coach does not have this sensor.

you can choose where to put the sender. you just have to know there will be a temp difference and compensate for it

tom

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - Fulltiming - 07-27-2014

I like EGT gauges but rarely have seen one on a Newell and they were likely added by a subsequent owner.

the wanderlodges seem to all have them.

tom

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - ron skeen - 07-27-2014

The egt gauge seem to be more important on the 8v92 2 stroke than the 60, cat and cum which are all 4 stroke.

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - HoosierDaddy - 07-27-2014

One thing I have noticed is that Blue Birds in general have a lot more gauges, switches etc. It is impressive to a gearhead like me but may be somewhat intimidating to someone who is not "into" the joys of mechanical wonders. It seems that Newell tries to just make things work as seamlessly as possible and not supply as much information or require as much interaction with the user. I would think that especially on the newer coaches that the ECM will monitor EGT's and cut fuel or boost as needed to eliminate engine damage.

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - ccjohnson - 07-27-2014

I'm thinking it might be a good thing to get when I get my engine back!

RE: Why no EGT gauge? - Fulltiming - 07-27-2014

Definitely a benefit on an 8V92 since you can see the immediate impact load and rising temperatures.