You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Relays - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Electrical (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Relays (/showthread.php?tid=2127)

Relays - prairieschooner - 02-12-2015

Looking for Manufacture & Part Numbers for Taillight Relays!!
I am helping Nancy with her Tail/Brake/Turn Lights. We have identified a Relay that is lazy and then fails after use. So we then goes down to the local parts store and orders (or though so) a couple of new Relays, problem is they have not been able to deliver them.
We have an '82 and they have a '95 and both Coaches have the same Relays and here is what her's look like........
    and any help finding with these would helpful.
thanks in advance

RE: Relays - encantotom - 02-12-2015

you cannot buy these older metal can relays. there is nothing special about them. they are standard relays.

newell likes using alot of dual 87 relays. that will have 5 pins.

tom

RE: Relays - whatsnewell - 02-13-2015

Steve, I had my right turn signal relay go bad a couple of years ago. I had to replace it with something comparable. I got it at O'Reilly's I think. I'll go outside and open up the electrical panel later today and get the details on it. I think it is a 5 pin one. Was easy to install, and works fine. The new ones are a lot smaller.

RE: Relays - prairieschooner - 02-13-2015

Thanks, the guy at Parker Auto stated that they could get them but this may explain why he hasn't been able to produce them. They supposedly were a Starter Relay and I was trying to stay with these because the have lasted so long.
Thanks for the input;

Tom do you know if they are using 20,30 or 40 Amp Relays?

I'll wait for your numbers Clarke.

RE: Relays - encantotom - 02-13-2015

i tend to buy my relays from grainger where i can get name brand ones.

tom

RE: Relays - mnhoff - 02-13-2015

Checked with parker auto this am. The relays were in stock that I required but were sent back to their supplier for some reason. They have been reordered and one will be in stock for pickup tomorrow. If it is the correct relay I will post the number for others. Mike #372

RE: Relays - HoosierDaddy - 02-13-2015

I think I ordered them from napa.

RE: Relays - whatsnewell - 02-13-2015

Here is a picture of the relay with numbers on side.....quite small compared to the original.  Works great!

RE: Relays - prairieschooner - 02-14-2015

Thanks Clarke but that is not one of the Dual 87 Pin Relays. Those have 5 Pins although have a Normally Open and Normally Closed Contacts. The current Wiring uses the #87 Terminals to move the 12 Volts DC (+) to the next Relay and uses no Normally Closed Contacts. The conversion will be much easier for them to make if the wiring doesn't need to be changed.
PS; I have used those Relays in the past on other applications. There is a Plug for them that cleans up the wiring and makes replacing them much easier. I have seen them fail in the past but they are not that expensive and easy to find. Their problem was intermittent so I was wanting to stick with something that lasts and 20-30 years speaks for itself but everything changes including replacement parts.

To close I made wiring Diagrams and Schematic for Mike #372. Since there was only one bad relay and a poor ground we were able to get him up for now. I was able to switch the Back-Up Light Relay with the Turn that had the intermittent problem, since it didn't fail right away everything should work until they can get the new Relays.