You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suspension/Tires/Wheels (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer (/showthread.php?tid=3556)

Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - Richard - 06-10-2017

For years I thought tire monitoring systems were not really a necessity if one paid close attention to your tires. I always checked the tires at each stop for excessive temps, and once a week or so, I would check all the pressures. Never did I find a tire low on pressure.

However, last year I lost a drive tire while on the road which got me to wondering if a TPMS would have alerted me before all the drama.
My buddy Ron Skeen had tried to convince me of the benefit of a system he uses  EEZRV. So while at Bella Terra, I installed one. Then Tom came in with his tag tire all askew, and I felt even better about the purchase.

Two days ago I notice one of the tags a couple of lbs lower than I remembered based on the readout on the 
TPMS. I aired it back up just for grins and drove all day with no problems. This morning that tire was down 10 lbs. So off to a tire shop to find a nail right at the edge of the tire. Something I did not find acceptable to patch. 

The point is that I doubt I would have noticed the tire being down. It didn't look down this morning on visual. I don't know if it would have been hot at the first stop of the day or not. What I do know is I had early warning to do something about it at a safe and leisurely place instead of on the side of the road. 

I wasn't sure of the benefit before know, but I think I paid for the system today, if nothing else in lack of drama. 

Thanks Ron for nudging me to install the system.

RE: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - Land Yacht - 06-10-2017

Happy your and your bride are safe! We are all carrying precious people, pets, etc. and extra safety is important. How difficult was the install?

RE: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - encantotom - 06-10-2017

i bought the same system and had it shipped to ruidoso. we are leaving in the morning with new TPMS installed

tom

RE: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - RussWhite - 06-11-2017

I may have mentioned this on the forum previously, but my TPMS ( monitoring the toad as well ) paid off when I noticed unusually high temps on the toad. My auxiliary braking system on the toad was incorrectly installed and the brakes were dragging. Saved me at least a brake job and maybe prevented a fire.

RE: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - encantotom - 06-11-2017

i ran the system for the first time today. you have to have the repeater. i do and it stopped working for a little while and 8 of the 12 sensors dropped out. it was a loose connection.

the temp and pressure on my drivers side front on my honda was hotter by ten degrees than the rest. and a couple pounds higher. my coach exhaust is on that side only a few feet from that tire....

tom

RE: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - Land Yacht - 06-11-2017

(06-11-2017, 03:26 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i ran the system for the first time today.   you have to have the repeater.  i do and it stopped working for a little while and 8 of the 12 sensors dropped out.  it was a loose connection.  

the temp and pressure on my drivers side front on my honda was hotter by ten degrees than the rest.  and a couple pounds higher.   my coach exhaust is on that side only a few feet from that tire....

tom
Tom, where did you mount the repeater and get power from?

RE: Tire Monitoring System, now a believer - encantotom - 06-11-2017

i have a rear bath. there is a closet all the way across the back of the bathroom. on the right hand (drivers side) wall in the closet is the power panel. i mounted the repeater on the back carpeted wall of the closet and drilled a hole in the carpeted wall that houses the power panel and used a spare fuse slot there.

richard did the same thing for his

tom