You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Direct Drive Blower for generator - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Generators (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Direct Drive Blower for generator (/showthread.php?tid=3822)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Direct Drive Blower for generator - Richard - 10-20-2017

All of the credit goes to Julius @"Pardue101" for finding and specing this blower. This only applies to the nose mounted Kohler gensets as far as I know. 

Grainger #1XJY4  is a drop in for the existing motor and belt  driven blower. Be advised Newell welded a flange on the blower outlet to enable mounting to the coach. I simply cut the flange off the old one and welded it to the new one. 

Make sure you order the 220V model.

The direct drive is much quieter than the original. I did not measure it with a dB meter, but Rhonda commented immediately. I decided to replace my original because the bearings were getting noisy again. 

I don't know why anyone would want or need the old blower, but I'll keep it for a little while. 
I do have a newish drive motor that I will put in storage, but you have to come here to pick it up, or I will bring to the next rally.

RE: Direct Drive Blower for generator - House Divided - 12-16-2017

After confirming that the Dayton 1XJY4 was indeed a direct fit for my coach as well, I ordered one.

As Richard stated the mechanical part of the install is straight forward.

What I'm befuddled with is the wiring - I was surprised to see a pigtail with 4 wires (common, high speed,medium speed, and low speed) already wired to the motor.
Let me just say - I'm am no electrician, so any help would be much appreciated in matching this set of four wires to my three wires  (white, green, black).

Thanks in advance.

RE: Direct Drive Blower for generator - RussWhite - 12-16-2017

David - I've got the degree, so lets give this a try :-)
If, and this is a big IF, you are correct in how the motor you received is presently wired all you have to do is decide at what speed you want to run the motor.
The wires you have on the coach side are as follows - Green ( safety ground - does not carry current normally ), White - Neutral ( normally at the same potential as the body of the coach ), and black ( hot wire - has 120VAC with respect to neutral).
So connect green to the body of the fan ( surprised it does not have its own green ), then white to "common" and black to the speed you want the fan to run. Has anyone measured the speed of their fan?

Wait a minute! Is that a 240VAC fan???

Can you post a pic of the nameplate?

Yep - Just fired mine up. It's 240VAC. Not actually wired to code as the white is used as one of the split phases.
So, you will have 240VAC between the white and black coming from the coach. Just be sure your motor is expecting that.

Pics attached - new motor and old. 

The first three pictures are the new fan - pigtail is wired into the motor, instead of what I had expected to find based on my limited experience (picture 4, old motor wiring).
[attachment=5257][attachment=5258][attachment=5259][attachment=5260][attachment=5261]

David - very helpful! Your motor is expecting the 240VAC - that's good. Would have been helpful if they had given the three speeds on the name plate. I am going to assume ( you know what that means ) that the 1086 is probably high speed.
On my setup I took some rough pulley measurements and using 3" for the motor, and 6" for the fan and a motor speed of 1725, I get a fan speed of 860 rpm.
So for starters I think you could try the high speed connection and see how that seems.
Oh, they have taken care of the grounding issue by connecting the motor to the fan, which will be connected to the coach - so no worries there. You will not have to connect there green coach wire to anything. Hope this is clear. If not, just let me know. Russ

Be sure you put a wire nut on the two unused speed wires. Don't want them contacting ground.

Thank you so much for the help Russ.

I think I have it - but please allow me to recap to make sure.

Coach harness - black and white used to supply 240v - green ground wire not used.

New fan - common and high speed connected to coach  - medium and low speed wires not used. I will certainly wire nut all unused wires.

Yes - I think you've got it.

Thanks again for the help.