You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Newell History (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. (/showthread.php?tid=5859)

Pages: 1 2 3

Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Burlyman - 12-31-2020

I was wondering if someone could address the significant changes and differences in the chassis construction, drivability, and certain features like IFS, etc as each model has evolved into the next.  Although my budget will probably have me looking at a late 80s to early 90s model, I am quite sure others would be interested to know how things progressed through the decades.  Obviously, things like propane disappeared and slide-outs became a norm, 8v92s were replaced with s60s and other engine offerings, but what where the things that made each model a "wow" improvement over the previous model designation?

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Fulltiming - 12-31-2020

Steve, historically Newell did not make major changes in conjunction with model designations. As a matter of fact, most changes didn't even occur at a model year change. The change from the Classic body style (1980's) to the Model 2000 did occur at the beginning of model year 1990. EXCEPT, there was one Classic style coach built in 1993 (coach #317). Typically Newell changed model designations in the middle of model years. The body style designations are: Classic, 2000, 2000i, P2000i, 2020P, and the current p50.

For a sticky post that highlights model year, coach numbers, and new model designations see http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3457 

Major visual and mechanical changes occurred at random times throughout the years. The new smiley face front cap (small round headlights vs the large rectangular Ford headlights) occurred in model year 2000, EXCEPT #538, the last 1999 had the new front cap. The transition from the Detroit Diesel 8V92 two stroke to the Detroit Series 60 occurred during the 1994 model year with #363 likely being the first with the Series 60 but there was a mixture of the two engines until #377 in the 1995 model year. 1993 model year saw some coaches with Aqua Hot units instead of the Primus (propane fired predecessor of the Aqua Hot) or the Raritan Marine Electric water heater and LP furnaces, #324 was one of the first Newells with Aqua Hot. Near the end of 1993 model year was the transition from 12.5 kw generators to 17.5 kw generators to support residential refrigerators. The generators were later upsized to 20 kw in 1994 but 17.5 kw remained in some coaches for many years. By the 1994 model year, some coaches had disc brakes on the front and/or the tag axles. 1995, with #388 Newell began adding surge-protection to all coaches. #398, a 1995 was the first 45'8" Newell. During the 1996 model year, some Newells were equipped with Dana Independent Front Suspensions rather than the Rockwell solid front axles, #416 may have been the first. #423, a 1996 was the first Newell with a rear bath and a mid-coach half bath. There were only 3 rear bath, mid half bath Newells built without slides. #432, a 1996 was the first Newell with the 'new' curved dash. #436 was the only 1996 Newell to have a slide. 1997 models saw expanded use of slide outs especially in the second half of the model year. Tires on Newells in the late 80's and early to mid 90's were 11R24.5 all around. With the addition of slides, Newell began installing 315/80R22.5's on the front. This was the standard tire size from July 1, 1995 until 9/30/1999. #443, a 1997, was the first Newell that can be upgraded to 365/70R22.5 tires on the front axle. Michelin Load Range L 315's are recommended by Newell on the front of the coaches with a max cruising speed of 65 mph. After the upgrade to 365/70R22.5, a max cruising speed of 75 mph is recommended. The 365's became standard after coach #1229, a 2008. There were a few coaches, around #450-458 thatcan't be upgraded due to stud spacing of 4" rather than 3".

Most of the coaches with the 8V92 had a N/S (rear to front) bed orientation. Those with the Series 60 predominately had an E/W (headboard to the side) bed orientation.

1999, coach #507 was the last Newell without a slide other than a corporate coach in 2010.

Let me know if you need information that includes more recent coaches.

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Burlyman - 01-02-2021

Thanks again, Michael, for all your information. You are always so helpful and forthcoming in your explanations. Much appreciated!

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - MrE - 01-02-2021

I don't claim to have anywhere near the knowledge that Michael has, but when I was researching buying my current Newell, the 1986 is the first year of 102" wide coaches. I also noticed that the 1987 40' Newells that I looked at had tag axels. I encourage Michael to correct me if I'm wrong but your post included 80's so I added my 2 cents.

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Fulltiming - 01-02-2021

Jon is correct, 1986 was the first of the 102" widebody Newells. Easy to spot on a Classic. The narrow bodies have 2 windshields. The 102" wide bodies have a third piece of glass in the center of the windshield to add the additional 6". The first tag axle Newell was built in 1978, it was 1986 before the next/second tag axle Newell. 1987 saw numerous tag axle Newells. I have photos of at least 16 different 1987's with tag axles.

1984 was the introduction of the Detroit 8V92 into Newells. 1981-1983's had 6V92's or Cummins 903's originally. 1980 Newells had 6V92's, Cummins 555, Cummins 903 or Cat 3208.

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - HoosierDaddy - 01-02-2021

Something for Newell trivia fans. My Newell (1993 316) 8V-92 had 2 LP furnaces that had never been hooked up. It does not have aquahot. It has 4 basement A/C s with 4 resistance electric heaters in the ducts. It has a 20,000 watt Yanmar generator. I’m thinking that Newell changed from a MH floor plan to an entertainer coach with 8 bunks and a rear lounge mid-stream.

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Fulltiming - 01-02-2021

Thanks Dean. I knew it had 2 lp furnances that weren't hooked up since no propane tank was ever installed. I didn't think that through to know that it didn't have any heat at all other than heat strips added to the basement airs. That does make it even more unique. You live in an area where it gets cold.

Does it have the engine coolant heater in the rear lounge? That would at least add a bunch of warm air to the back when the engine was running.

Even if they used 15 watt resistance electric heaters, they would only produce 5,100 BTU's while pulling 30 Amps/leg. So 4 would produce 20,400 BTU's. Each of my 2 LP heaters are 30,000 BTU's. Does it stay warm without anything other than the 4 heat strips?

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - HoosierDaddy - 01-03-2021

No engine heater in the lounge area. It is stored in my heated shop in the winter. We dont use it in frigid temps. If we are sitting still the electric heaters do fine down to 40 degrees outside. We do travel in October occasionally. I have used an additional electric heater in the front while moving. I also have a Mr Heater Big Buddy portable propane heater if needed. The front engine heater needs some attention. I have the coolant valve shut off at the engine. I haven't prioritized that but probably should....

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - HoosierDaddy - 01-03-2021

Here is a view of two of the electric heaters. They were originally under the bunks but I had to move them outboard a few inches to hide them under the kitchen cupboards. We built the cupboards over the top with removable floors to access this area for service. One of the basement A/C evaporators with blower is mounted directly below in the bay.

RE: Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years. - Fulltiming - 01-03-2021

That is interesting. Do they list the wattage?