You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
New tires, balancing, & valve stems - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suspension/Tires/Wheels (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: New tires, balancing, & valve stems (/showthread.php?tid=590)

Pages: 1 2

New tires, balancing, & valve stems - pjhorton - 03-06-2013

Something else we didn't know:

When you get new tires, some providers don't have a spindle big enough to spin the tires for weight balancing. Instead, they use balancing compound ( essentially a bag of very fine sand ). That's OK, but not if they don't replace your valves or/and valve stems with new ones that have filters. Through rotation, the sand can get into your valve stem springs & seals. Worse, when you use an air gauge, the very fine sand gets sucked up even further into the valve stem and cause your tires to lose air slowly.

I checked my air pressure and twenty four hours later had lost significant air pressure in 7 of 8 tires. Luckily, my road side assistance was close by and two hours later I was on the road with new valve stems.

The tech said he is frequently called to Prevosts & Newell's with this problem. He also recommended spraying your tire valves with very soapy water to check for slow leaks. He also said to get valve caps that have balancing compound on the caps so the next tire change they should really clean the rims so that you will get good bead seals.

Phil Horton
98 Newell #470

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - Richard - 03-06-2013

Sorry about that. The good news is that you can replace the cores without much trouble. I had to do this myself and did it without losing more the 20 psi per tire while changing cores.

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - tuga - 03-06-2013

When I purchased 2 new front tires at the TCI shop in Baton Rouge they recommended balancing with EQUAL. I had heard about the EQUAL powder getting in the valve stem, but the tech @ TCI assured me that they use EQUAL in a long bag so that none of it can get into the valve stems. WRONG!

My front tires have the SMART tire pressure/temperature monitoring system. Guess how the SMART tire sensor is attached to the inside of the rim. They use a large s.s. hose clamp. The hose clamp didn't take long to tear the bag. Since I check my tires everyday when I am traveling it didn't take me long to realize the problem. Duh!

Now I just use the balance weights clamped onto the outside of the rim.

Sometimes simple is best!Smile

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - encantotom - 03-06-2013

when i had new tires put on my 90 and the 02 i had them spin balance all of them. my bus guy and the tire guy both didnt think it was necessary.

but it made me feel better

tom

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - John L Williams - 03-07-2013

If anybody is interested...I will have 4 tires and wheels for sale off of my 2005 #722 Newell, as soon as I upgrade to the 365 wide tires on the front and tag. The tires are Michelin XZA 2's,
315/80 R22.5's, and are like new with 2011 date stamps on them, and approx 5000 miles on them, and are spin balanced and ready to install on your coach. I will take 600.00 each for them ( tire and wheel). I will be bringing them back to Alabama from Newell, or can leave them there for you to pick up, if they are closer to you. Let me know if you are interested..Thanks...Johnny 334 224-5063

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - 360 - 06-04-2022

When I had new tires put on a few weeks ago the tire shop had a really nice Hunter spin balancer, however they used tape weights so on the drives you see the weights. I’m sure they are balanced great, but they don’t look so hot. Thoughts?

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - Trainer - 06-04-2022

I use Centramatic balancers. Balances all rotating items in real time. Works great and adjusts to wear.

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - Richard - 06-04-2022

The shop messed up by sticking the weights on the outside.

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - rheavn - 06-04-2022

Centramatics for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: New tires, balancing, & valve stems - 360 - 06-04-2022

Thanks! Drives needed a professional polish anyway so the timing will be good on pulling those weights off.