You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Doghouse - Center console - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Documentation (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: Interior Things (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: Doghouse - Center console (/showthread.php?tid=6423)

Doghouse - Center console - Tfrazier - 10-31-2021

So I just posted some before and after pictures of my LVP floor install. I did have an incident while working in the front passenger area and I cracked the black curved trim. I was being lazy and used the doghouse as a support when went to stand up. Unfortunately, I didn't put my hand on top of the center console (thought I did) but right on the radius corner of the black trim. Apparently that black material is not made of a material that will structurally support 220 lbs. It is actually a very thin piece of plastic. Anyway, I now have multiple cracks in the trim and it looks really bad. 

Does anyone know if there are replacements for something like this or any suggestions on how I might be able to repair it. I would prefer to just replace it but its probably wishful thinking..

RE: Doghouse - Center console - folivier - 11-01-2021

On my '93 I took a sheet of black ABS plastic, cut it to size and used a heat gun to bend it to shape. Took a while to get the bend just right. I left the textured side out since the smooth surface shows scratches easily.
I left the old plastic in place and glued the new one over it. I don't remember what thickness but 1/16" or 1/8" is thick enough if you glue it over the old plastic. Not a difficult job.

RE: Doghouse - Center console - BusNit - 11-01-2021

Mine has cracks too but not as bad. Perhaps my 160lb frame did less damage? LOL Either way, I would be curious where to find that thin sheet too. A sharpie pen has been the previous owners friend. there are spots marked everywhere...

Amazon and ebay have the ABS plastic sheets. It's commonly used for vacuum forming parts.

RE: Doghouse - Center console - Richard - 11-01-2021

This may be bad info, because it is over 10 years old. Many years ago, when I asked Newell where to get the stuff, I seem to remember that the plastic they used was used to make engraved name plates.

RE: Doghouse - Center console - encantotom - 11-01-2021

that is exactly what i used on my 90.  in fact, i had a local trophy shop cut the switch holes out and engrave the labels on them.

tom

The problem is the compound curve on the corner that is broken. Easy to do with ABS using a heat gun.

RE: Doghouse - Center console - encantotom - 11-01-2021

yea, mine was flat.

tom

RE: Doghouse - Center console - Richard - 11-01-2021

If i had to do that, i would use an oversize sheet of kraft paper, form it to the desired panel, then mark it with a pencil. Cut it out and you have the pattern needed for the compound curve.