You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Main salon slide rebuild - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Repair Maintain and Inspect (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: General Repair (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Main salon slide rebuild (/showthread.php?tid=7026)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Main salon slide rebuild - Jack Houpe - 10-16-2022

Due to a massive leak over a long time our salon will have to be rebuilt, the floor and ceiling are going be replaced due to dry rot and mold but the walls other than being stained are OK, no signs of window leaks either so we will use stain blocker on the walls. There was rips in the salon aluminum roof on front and back that was not repaired properly which caused this problem. The ceiling of the salon was held up by double back sticky tape in some areas. The leak cause one of the front control arms to freeze up and stripped the threads on the control arm bushing making the pop up floor lower in the front. Also one of the locking pins has a bad seal and leaks fluid from the shaft when activated which stained the wall. We had no idea about this as it was not disclosed to us when we bought it and was told it had a torn seal and a problem with the pop up floor. We've purchased a new seal from Newell which is 50 miles from us. Here are some horrifical pictures, we are almost done with the roof repair which we did first. We found this decayed rat under the floor, it must have smelt bad for some time.

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Richard - 10-16-2022

Cant wait to see the work!!!

Kudos for the complete tear out and replace.

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - encantotom - 10-17-2022

You do not need to disconnect ant electrical other than possibly switches on interior trim

The main electrical is usually on the top of the slide by the back slide pin block

Tom

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - encantotom - 10-17-2022

Once ready, the slide only needs to come out enough to get at the seal.

Tom

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Jack Houpe - 10-18-2022

I should have my new hwh locking pin and new bushing for the control arm on the pop up floor today, I need to move the coach to an area where my fork lift can get under the slide easy.

You can't move these things with slides out can you?

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Richard - 10-18-2022

Do you want the official answer, NO you should not.

However, there is a switch on the HWH control panel that overrides the HWH transmission lockout. How you may choose to use that switch is up to you.

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Jack Houpe - 10-19-2022

Morning everyone, my parts (HWH locking pin and bushing) from Newell say delivered but not to me evidently so that will be first thing on the agenda this morning. My son brought over 2 welding benches with half inch steel plate top for me to use if I want for the slide removal. I purchased a pair of 22 ton jack stands (hernia included) and are under the front of the coach. With my wife's help we blew down the water lines in the coach last evening as its 20 this morning and 80 by the weekend. I might just plumb in an air valve in the water system for future use. Kathleen painted the walls with stain blocker they seem to be fine which is hard to believe. I only have one more piece of the floor to remove and after seal replacement and then I will build a new floor out of Advantech water proof paneling. My plan is to make hatches over all the mechanical areas for easy access, just in case.

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Jack Houpe - 10-19-2022

The 1/4 inch plywood roofing is shot and will be replaced but I've decided to use a sign board that I've had and used over the years it two pieces of aluminum with a corrugated plastic core, its very strong, lite and rigid, this will be perfect for the roof paneling. The old roof drooped and you couldn't open the small curtain it was so bad. This will be a great replacement material.

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Richard - 10-19-2022

I absolutely love the idea of using a lighter weight composite for the ceiling. I have seen on some of the later model coaches, that Newell used so much plywood in the ceiling that the roof structure bowed enough that the seal would not seal when the room was out.

Nice !!!!!

RE: Main salon slide rebuild - Jack Houpe - 10-20-2022

Its impossible to speak to a human at FedEx, I am so frustrated right now, if I could just talk to the driver I could go and get my package with the locking pin and bushing. I've got good weather till Sunday, sure would like to knock this out.

I did remove the last piece of flooring yesterday and YES Richard there is a ton of plywood in these coaches, wish there was an alternative for the flooring. I had a cnc router for almost 20 years, sure miss it now.