You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Lithium batteries upgrade - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Electrical (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Lithium batteries upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=7084)

Lithium batteries upgrade - Figz - 11-10-2022

Good morning/afternoon guru’s. I own coach 776, 2006 Newell. I’m wanting to put lithium batteries in my coach in replace of my agm batteries. I have a Magna sine 3000 inverter. Can I do this? I’ve heard a couple people say “ no you can’t”. Thank you

RE: Lithium batteries upgrade - Richard - 11-10-2022

Do you have the ME-ARC remote controller? It is needed with the Magna inverters to be able to configure a custom charge profile needed for the Lithiums. It will not have a preprogrammed program that I would recommend for Lithiums despite what some Lithium suppliers will lead you to believe.

RE: Lithium batteries upgrade - BusNit - 11-10-2022

If you need the ME-ARC controller, I have a new one in the box that I ordered but will be going a different route. I too want to do lithiums but my Magnum inverter died anyway so I will go with a whole new dimension of solar, chargers, inverters, batteries and the like. Just haven't gone into it yet. Coach is at shop awaiting other parts.

RE: Lithium batteries upgrade - Figz - 11-14-2022

(11-10-2022, 07:07 PM)Richard Wrote:  Do you have the ME-ARC remote controller? It is needed with the Magna inverters to be able to configure a custom charge profile needed for the Lithiums. It will not have a preprogrammed program that I would recommend for Lithiums despite what some Lithium suppliers will lead you to believe.
I do have the ME-ARC remote.

RE: Lithium batteries upgrade - Richard - 11-14-2022

I don’t know why but Newell tends to steer owners away from Lithium.

As long as you understand that they are NOT drop ins for AGM, meaning they will require programming of the charge profile, and in my opinion, a stand alone battery protection system then no problem.

If you get that far, many of the members here who have lithium setups can recommend profiles that will range from how to maximize the life of the battery to how to get the most charge out of the setup.

I strongly recommend adding a battery management system to the mix, and not depending upon the internal BMS that most manufacturers now include inside the battery.

A good place to start is considering how you plan to use the batteries:
1) just need to replace tired AGMS and thought about trying Lithium
2) the rig travels pedestal to pedestal and I just need enough battery to overnight occasionally
3) I am quite often off the grid for 3 to 5 days, maybe longer so I need a lot of battery capacity
4) I want to be able to run one or two AC units all night without running the generator

Those scenarios above have vastly different battery needs and strategies. That’s why I recommend starting with “how do I use the battery bank I have”.

RE: Lithium batteries upgrade - Jack Houpe - 11-14-2022

Richard nailed it! Thumbs up

RE: Lithium batteries upgrade - Figz - 11-15-2022

(11-14-2022, 12:14 PM)Richard Wrote:  I don’t know why but Newell tends to steer owners away from Lithium.

As long as you understand that they are NOT drop ins for AGM, meaning they will require programming of the charge profile, and in my opinion, a stand alone battery protection system then no problem.

If you get that far, many of the members here who have lithium setups can recommend profiles that will range from how to maximize the life of the battery to how to get the most charge out of the setup.

I strongly recommend adding a battery management system to the mix, and not depending upon the internal BMS that most manufacturers now include inside the battery.

A good place to start is considering how you plan to use the batteries:
1) just need to replace tired AGMS and thought about trying Lithium
2) the rig travels pedestal to pedestal and I just need enough battery to overnight occasionally
3) I am quite often off the grid for 3 to 5 days, maybe longer so I need a lot of battery capacity
4) I want to be able to run one or two AC units all night without running the generator

Those scenarios above have vastly different battery needs and strategies. That’s why I recommend starting with “how do I use the battery bank I have”.
Thank you for the detailed answer.  Newell is telling me NO, so I'm going to honor their opinion and stay with my AGM'S. Thank you again!!Regards, MIKE