You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Thanksgiving trip?? - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Fun Stuff (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Big Rig Friendly places to go (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Thanksgiving trip?? (/showthread.php?tid=7095)

Thanksgiving trip?? - Wanderman - 11-17-2022

Last year we took a great trip, well mostly great (Thanks Richard and Tom!) that had us in various places between NY and Missouri with a stop in Ohio for a delicious day before thanksgiving dinner at Der Dutchman in Belleville, OH.

This year We've pretty much decided to go to the Kill Devil hills/Hatteras area of North Carolina.

I get two routes:

10 hr 2 min (555 miles)
via US-113 S and US-13 S

and

10 hr 43 min (646 miles)
via I-81 S

I'd love to take the Eastern Coast route rather than the Highway. Anyone know if there would be any issues with that? Height restrictions, bad roads, etc?? I am especially wary of the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel combo it says 13'5" and I am unsure of the exact height of my 1996 Newell!

Love to hear what you all think.

RE: Thanksgiving trip?? - arcticdude - 11-17-2022

Assuming you know 113/13 is a town by town road, you should be okay taking it. The traffic will be the determining factor.

I hope the trip goes well either way!

RE: Thanksgiving trip?? - Wanderman - 11-18-2022

As long as I can NOT ht anything low hanging and the roads are relatively smooth... going through towns is fun! The Highway route is much longer and a bit dull. I'm really not in any rush as I'be managed to have 2 travel days on each side of the trip, and the drive is roughly 12 hours.

What do you think?

RE: Thanksgiving trip?? - arcticdude - 11-19-2022

6 hours of 113/13 is ALOT! There’s so much congestion that you may not be able to cover the required distances. I guess you could always go one way and come back to other to truly compare them.

RE: Thanksgiving trip?? - Guy - 11-19-2022

Chesapeake Bay bridges and Tunnels (you pass thru two of them ,) does have a 13ft 5 inch restriction, which is the legal height  for semi trailers. Being a "classic" Newell, we don't have issues with our height, but we are limited to wind on the trip. Any vehicle towing, or motorhome, is refused entry at 40 mph wind. We have seen  what we hope were antenna scratches in the roof of the tunnels , The Tunnels are one lane head  on traffic in each direction.    We just have to have faith in our fellow man, We have crossed twice with no issues other than a bit of a pucker factor pulling a 26 ft. enclosed trailer. I think it was about 20 dollars toll, but is the only way to get to beautiful eastern shore area of Virginia from the south.
Regards, 
Guy

RE: Thanksgiving trip?? - hypoxia - 11-20-2022

That looks like an interesting route. We'll plan for that next summer. FAQ says "Maximum vehicle height permitted to cross this facility is 13’-6” and all propane must be turned off at the outside valve prior to crossing"

RE: Thanksgiving trip?? - Wanderman - 11-20-2022

No propane for me! Smile

I havent decided if I am going to take that route going South or coming Back North. or both.

Still gathering info. Since I am leaving on a Tuesday from NY, I imagine traffic shouldn't be too much of an issue either way. I try and avoid big cities and perimeter roads around rush hour. They can be frustrating!