You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Coaches for Sale (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Coaches for Sale (Please read the info in the Category description) (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP (/showthread.php?tid=7159)

Pages: 1 2

60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - MrMunch - 01-07-2023

We have 60k and want to purchase a Newell or Wanderlodge LXI, model years 95’ to 2002’, Series 60, Tag, Aqua Hot, and a slide would be great! 
-We live in SW Florida and will travel for the right coach!

I appreciate your response, we expect to put additional money into the coach and would prefer to select the updates ourselves. I’m trying to learn what to look for in the Newell world. Our budget is what it is- so Im looking for the best combination of mechanical specifications, floor plan, and price! Please share, specific years, model numbers, and features of Newell coaches that would be important to know in our search?
Thanks,
Victor

Thank you,
Victor & Shelley 
941-321-8422

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - Tyler - 01-07-2023

Full disclosure, I’m not a Newell owner yet but have been looking for a while. From my research I think you will find it very difficult to locate a clean Newell with the specs you’re wanting for 60k— especially ones with a slide.

You might be able to find a nice Wanderlodge which are also quality rigs for 60k.

Best of luck, I hope you find one!

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - folivier - 01-07-2023

Foretravel would also be worth looking at for your budget. But it is a pretty big step down from Newell quality, even though being a big step up from SOB's.

I did - BusNit - 01-07-2023

I found a '93 in "good" condition for under your budget price. I was specifically looking at entry price and not what engine it had. (Didn't have a choice for what I wanted to purchase at) Regardless, I absolutely love my 8v92 and whenever it decides to retire itself, another is going back in. My coach needed extensive interior updating. Wife told me yesterday we spent 56k on top of the 51k purchase price. On a good note, previous owner took care of all airbags, tires and other "expensive" bits such as ECU and all fluids/brakes. We love our "bus" and so far it continues to impress us. Our criteria were no slides and no computers aside from engine management. That stuff gets expensive. I did 85% of the work myself with the exception of tile, upholstery (Removed and installed after shop was done covering parts) and some chassis work. (Preventative maintenance). We drove 5800 miles last year on a 3 week run and I can place wagers that this bus will not leave me on the side of the road. We had other failures such as inverter but it is expected as it was 15 years old. (Solar and lithium batteries are on the horizon)

A couple of years ago I fell in love with a 2001 Wanderlodge Millennium edition in black. They were asking 75k for it and it was pristine. By the time I ran to my wife with the pictures and called the guy, he had sold it to a family member. (Same day) Of course! It was a freaking bargain! You may find what you are looking for and in particular as the year progresses on with the unknowns of the economy.

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - MrMunch - 01-07-2023

What are the differences between the Wanderlodge and Newell? I’m interested in build quality, ride quality, floor plan and access to parts and service centers.
Your coach is great!I love your seats, and lighting. It looks brand new!
Thank you,
VA

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - BusNit - 01-08-2023

I would put Wanderlodge, Newell and Prevost as all similar in quality, ride and floor plan. If I had the $$, I would go with a Prevost (New) but that's just my personal style and in no way reflective on any manufacturer build or quality. That said, My 30 year old Newell just floats so confidently down the road. Newell uses airbags with large air hoses that draw air via a chassis member air tank. This allows fast suspension response of the coach by allowing the airbags to draw/withdraw air as road bumps/whoop-de-doo's change. I would never recommend this, but I do feel comfortable setting the cruise at 77 and letting her take us along. I can't speak for others but my seats were custom ordered with seat bases and spring supports for my needs. I can sit in that chair and pilot that rig for 10 hours without a back issue or fatigue. The only thing that would keep me from being belted that long is needing to use the bathroom. I time bathroom breaks to twice during my driving time and that's when I fuel up. My wife brings the food up front while I drive. Having said all this, I will say that despite this "self induced money pit" I absolutely love this coach. Maybe I got lucky to get into a Newell of which I had no idea what they were when we were shopping around. I just wanted a conversion bus and somewhere along the search criteria, this one popped up. Wife hated the look inside yet I knew what I could do to transform it. I hated the exterior colors. In the end, we decided to buy it and let my imagination give this beauty a new life. I will eventually have the exterior painted a more modern yet simple color/design. (I like the commercial bus look of it now, just not the colors for AZ summer heat)

Regarding servicing, all major brands can be serviced at regional truck shops. Newell still has their factory in Miami OK, which is always welcoming all of their coaches home no matter if you are first or 10 buyer of that same coach. You will always get first class service as if you bought it new. Wanderlodges have long been out of business. Again, they too can be serviced at truck shops. Your best bet would be to find a local mechanic who is willing to do work for you. I happen to love tinkering with my things and built a pit under the bus's parking spot. I do have a local shop that is very reasonable in taking care of anything that requires muscle or a wrench bigger than 1-1/2"

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - MrMunch - 01-08-2023

TylerFull disclosure, I’m not a Newell owner yet but have been looking for a while. From my research I think you will find it very difficult to locate a clean Newell with the specs you’re wanting for 60k— especially ones with a slide.

You might be able to find a nice Wanderlodge which are also quality rigs for 60k.

Best of luck, I hope you find one!

Hi Tyler,
We are looking at the Wanderlodge, Newell… I like to get feedback as to market conditions, available coaches, and things to be aware of. What about Newell makes it your first choice?
Thx.

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - Tyler - 01-10-2023

(01-08-2023, 04:03 PM)MrMunch Wrote:  Hi Tyler,
We are looking at the Wanderlodge, Newell… I like to get feedback as to market conditions, available coaches, and things to be aware of. What about Newell makes it your first choice?
Thx.

I always look for 2 primary things when shopping for a rig-- build quality and an active community. I've now full-timed in 3 rigs from defunct companies (1996 Safari Trek, 2000 Country Coach Magna, and currently 1987 Blue Bird Wanderlodge PT40) so an active community has always been a priority. To my own detriment I'm a stubborn DIY kind of person and having a support system like this forum is something I place a lot of value in.

So why do I want a Newell? Quality. I like knowing that the entire rig was manufactured in one place, they're still in business, and most of the people that built the rig are probably still there. I also appreciate true craftsmanship because when something inevitably breaks and I have to go digging I like seeing plumbing/wiring routed with intention and care. I've seen the quality on some friends' newer rigs and I walk away surprised that those things even get through quality control. 

Blue Bird was similar to Newell in that regard and I could go on for days about the build quality of my '87 Wanderlodge PT40. It's built like an absolute tank using premium materials and an incredibly well thought out design. There's also a huge cult following with a wealth of knowledge to keep you on the road.

I'm on Galveston island right now and we had one day of below freezing temperatures recently and the whole RV resort looked like it was preparing for the apocalypse. Blue Bird, like Newell, planned for that. I've got insulated plumbing with thermostatically controlled electric heaters in the walls where the water runs, 4 more electric heaters in the living areas, 2 roof airs with heat pumps, and 3 propane furnaces as a backup plan. This thing is 35 years old!

I subscribe to just about every diesel pusher classifieds website you could think of so I see a lot of different rigs come and go. For me personally, the only thing that will convince me to part ways with my Wanderlodge is a Newell-- that or a huge pile of cash... Wink

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - MrMunch - 01-10-2023

Tyler,
I’m going to buy an 01’ Wanderlodge, it checks most of my boxes. The only thing that bothers me is that Bluebird has no factory support. Besides, I can’t find a Newell for what I want to initially spend and I believe I’ll be very happy in the Bird! Best of luck finding your next home.
VA

RE: 60k 95-00’ Series 60 WTP - Tyler - 01-10-2023

(01-10-2023, 04:57 PM)MrMunch Wrote:  Tyler,
I’m going to buy an 01’ Wanderlodge, it checks most of my boxes. The only thing that bothers me is that Bluebird has no factory support. Besides,  I can’t find a Newell for what I want to initially spend and I believe I’ll be very happy in the Bird! Best of luck finding your next home.
VA

You won't be disappointed and I can promise any question you've got there will be someone with an answer on the WOG forum. Hopefully you have the musical horn too, it's my favorite feature! Big Grin