You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Air Operated Systems and Leaks (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets (/showthread.php?tid=7365)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Tony Van Helden - 09-25-2023

I think my question is: Will an air leak trigger a quick short reload?

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Richard - 09-25-2023

Tony,

I am having a hard time understanding exactly what you are trying to convey. If I may, let me ask some questions.

How often does the 120v compressor come on now?

How often did it come on before the problem started?

When it comes on now, how long does it run?
At what pressure does it come on?
At what pressure does it turn off?

Before the problem, about how long would the compressor run?

If you will answer those questions, it will help us sort through the info to help you.

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Tony Van Helden - 09-25-2023

Richard
To answer your questions:
The compressor now runs every 25 mn.
Before she ran about 1hr 25mn.
When it comes on now it runs 15-25 seconds. Before I'm thinking it was closer to 1mn +.
I don't have the pressures, but the short run times suggest it doesn't go down to the usual 80 lb low-end start point as it blows off at the unload per usual.
Pre-problem run times have been steady, after I fixed some leaks, for the past 5 yrs at 1hr 20mn +or-.

I apologize for my earlier wordy vagueness. Thanks for looking at this!

Tony

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Tony Van Helden - 09-26-2023

The early morning numbers are now run times of 11-13 seconds every 7 mn.

Brad,
Hope I didn't screw up your thread here. My issues seemed to parallel some of yours.
Tony

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Jack Houpe - 09-26-2023

If you had a blown head gasket that would make your cycle much longer as much of the air would be leaking between the head and the block so perhaps your short cycle is good news, now just find your leaks. I have an old ultrasonic leak detector I bought on ebay for 50 bucks, been one of the best tools in the box.

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Richard - 09-26-2023

Tony,

Thank you for the answers. It seems that the short run times of the pump are the result of something changing in the well pump switch. It would make sense, that the short run times are not replacing the volume of air that a longer run time would, therefore the frequency that the pump activates is going to increase.

The next step would be to monitor the pressures that you see when the pump comes on, and when it goes off. That shouldn’t be too difficult given the frequency and duration of the pump activation.

I don’t believe the HWH bypass circuit has anything to do with what you are experiencing.

Do most of those set-ups have pressure gages installed by Newell or have most guys had to plumb those in? I don't seem to have one up front at least.

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - 360 - 09-26-2023

(09-26-2023, 10:08 AM)Tony Van Helden Wrote:  Do most of those set-ups have pressure gages installed by Newell or have most guys had to plumb those in?  I don't seem to have one up front at least.

No problem on hijacking the thread.  Anything I can learn about said compressor and or issues is music to my ears.  I plumbed a gauge into one of my what I think are 3/8" lines in that bay.  Makes it so much easier to see what pressure it doing.  Wish I had just stuck in right on the end of the tank but nonetheless it works of me.

On a related note I would love some help from someone in finding a new well pump switch that can handle the 70-90 psi range and has an on/off lever.  I've looked all over the internet and either I'm looking wrong or not reading specs properly.

Looks like my squirrel cage will have to come out so I can get at it. Hope to get some specs off the side of the switch at least. Several do come up on Box D when googling, but may have to set the pressures by adjusting a couple set screws. Looks like a proper range may be 80-120 lbs? We're both looking for the same switch possibly. Somebody know for sure??

RE: Keep blowing 120V compressor head gaskets - Richard - 09-27-2023

Tony, the Supply gauge on the dash is the one you want to watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-9013FSG52J25M4-Differential/dp/B013WXWD5Q/ref=sr_1_22?hvadid=580671218297&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9018887&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=573784654942340920&hvtargid=kwd-11001095077&hydadcr=8457_13498117&keywords=square+d+pump+switch&qid=1695817209&sr=8-22

You may have to adjust it slightly. In my opinion, the cut in should be about 60 and the cutout at 90. I know some people run it higher.